Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Cliff Kimura
Hello Everyone

I have the opportunity of purchasing another body to go along with my R5. Should I stay with the R5 or should I look at the R6?

Thanks!

Hello Everyone

I have the opportunity of purchasing another body to go along with my R5. Should I stay with the R5 or should I look at the R6?

Thanks!
For whatever this worth, I love my R6 and from everything I have read it has almost all if not all the features of the R5 save to 45 mp vs 20. And the R6 takes standard cards so there is a cost savings there and costs about $1400 less. I use mine for bird, aviation and landscape photography and I am not a professional just an avid amateur. So unless you require all of the features of the R5 I think the R6 will be great as a second body.

I’ve just bought a second body and stuck with the R5, mostly for the assurance that it’s identical in every way so I don’t need to do anything different when swapping between bodies. I also like the option of a heavy crop 45MP offers.

Hello Everyone

Thanks!
Or wait for the R7. Rumor has it that it has been seen testing in the wild. Late 20211 or 2020?

Or wait for the R7. Rumor has it that it has been seen testing in the wild. Late 20211 or 2020?

With the chip shortages it won't be late 2021 for sure and it's likely to be an APS-C camera. For wildlife that could make it a decent second, less expensive camera for R5 shooters as I'd expect it to have at least 20MPs which will give you more than the R5 in 1.6x mode so effectively more reach, but you've got that crop factor with every lens so for something who wants to throw a 24-xx on it and walk around you're likely going to need to spring for APS-C glass. And if the frame rates aren't up there closer to the R5 than the R6 its use as a second wildlife/sports camera may be at issue.

Now, if it's a stacked sensor, APS-C camera with some of the rumored bells and whistles on the R3 built for sports and wildlife I may just wind up with a third body. LOL

With the chip shortages it won't be late 2021 for sure and it's likely to be an APS-C camera. For wildlife that could make it a decent second, less expensive camera for R5 shooters as I'd expect it to have at least 20MPs which will give you more than the R5 in 1.6x mode so effectively more reach, but you've got that crop factor with every lens so for something who wants to throw a 24-xx on it and walk around you're likely going to need to spring for APS-C glass. And if the frame rates aren't up there closer to the R5 than the R6 its use as a second wildlife/sports camera may be at issue.

Now, if it's a stacked sensor, APS-C camera with some of the rumored bells and whistles on the R3 built for sports and wildlife I may just wind up with a third body. LOL
I am hoping for a 30mps (90D sensor) or so APS-C sensor with the IBIS. and animal eye. Why would you need APS-C glass? I used EF glass on my 7D2 with no issues on my African photo safaris. So my RF 100-500 should be fine on an APS-C R7. And I'd have reach to 800mm equivalent with a minimum F7.1 aperture. I find the crop mode on the R5 (17mps) limiting for wildlife. And I don't want to go to F11 using a 1.4x extender.

Why would you need APS-C glass?

I said that in the context of non-wildlife usage. If you're like me all you have is RF glass. If a 24-105mm is your walkaround, or a 24-240mm, then on an APS-C camera you can't get wider than 38mm. Walk around a city or go looking for landscapes and shoot with that as the widest you can go. Boatload of stuff that you'll walk away frustrated about. I speak from experience. When I bought my first DSLR I had no idea what APS-C was so when I bought a 28-300mm to take to Yosemite I got there and spent most of the time with the 18-105mm that came with it, and even then I wanted wider than 27mm some times. Sure, I could use the 14-35mm, but there are going to be times I want more than an effective 56mm.

I said that in the context of non-wildlife usage. If you're like me all you have is RF glass. If a 24-105mm is your walkaround, or a 24-240mm, then on an APS-C camera you can't get wider than 38mm. Walk around a city or go looking for landscapes and shoot with that as the widest you can go. Boatload of stuff that you'll walk away frustrated about. I speak from experience. When I bought my first DSLR I had no idea what APS-C was so when I bought a 28-300mm to take to Yosemite I got there and spent most of the time with the 18-105mm that came with it, and even then I wanted wider than 27mm some times. Sure, I could use the 14-35mm, but there are going to be times I want more than an effective 56mm.
And that's why you need two cams. One FF and the other APS-C.

And that's why you need two cams. One FF and the other APS-C.
Um, no I don’t. I’d rather lose at most 3MPs in extreme situations with the R5 once in a while than a consistent 14mm on the wide end. R5 + R6 tops anything not rolled up in someone’s head and not available if I want a second camera for something other than a backup.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back