Airport security with camera gear

tbar23

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor
I’m looking for some input from experienced travelers with camera gear. I’m going on safari in just over a week and am planning to take my camera, RF100-500 lens and a Sirui monopod with tilt/pan head and whatever you call the little mini-tripod-like base for the Sirui monopods.
Has anyone ever had trouble with security and monopod / tripods? Any tips?

What I noticed is that security differs from country to country or even from airport to airport. In pre-COVID times I used to fly a lot, often with my gear in hand luggage. Never had any issues with the tripod. Sometimes they only asked me to take it out of the cover for manual inspection. Same with the camera. In some places I didn't have to take it out of the suitcase, but sometimes I was asked to put the body and every lens separately on a tray that hoes into X-Ray scanner.

I have not had a problem with airport security and cameras and lenses, however I have not brought my tripod through in my carry on luggage, so I can't help you with that. I've had to open my camera bag in one or two international airports, which can be a bit disconcerting, but for the most part if you are going on safari most of the airports have seen photography gear before so they have mostly seen it all.

For those that may be interested in the future - I had no problem with both my monopod or its small tripod-like base through multiple security checkpoints (Sirui P-204SR). Once, I was asked to pull out the tripod base, but no issue once I showed them that it was camera gear.

Only trouble I ever had was at JFK coming back from Kenya. Flew out of Liberty this time, and went through 6 airports in 21 days between South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, and the US. No issues at all this time. Depends on the mood of the TSA person it seems.

Agreed @RedCobra - our strictest security was at Heathrow, though that largely had to do with liquids.
I saw in my other thread that you and I were in Africa around the same time. Sounds like you were in different countries, though.
We spent the bulk of our trip at four different national parks in Tanzania (Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Conservation and Serengeti). A quick stop in Nairobi, Kenya and then another couple of days near Victoris Falls at the Matetsi private game reserve in Zimbabwe.
Really wonderful trip.

Agreed @RedCobra - our strictest security was at Heathrow, though that largely had to do with liquids.
I saw in my other thread that you and I were in Africa around the same time. Sounds like you were in different countries, though.
We spent the bulk of our trip at four different national parks in Tanzania (Tarangire, Lake Manyara, Ngorogoro Conservation and Serengeti). A quick stop in Nairobi, Kenya and then another couple of days near Victoris Falls at the Matetsi private game reserve in Zimbabwe.
Really wonderful trip.
I was previously in Kenya and Tanzania. Would like to go back again. This time was On the Chobe river in Botswana and Namibia. and Madikwe in south Africa.

If you don't mind telling me, who did you do your tours with? We went to Tanzania a few years back with Wild Eye and had a good time but they are incredibly expensive. I would like to go back someday and am looking at other options.

@Hali - we booked our trip through ATR and stayed at Lemala Mpingo Ridge in Tarangire, Entamanu in Ngorogoro and Lemala Kuria Hills in Serengeti. Mpingo Ridge was the best lodge of the three. ATR was quite expensive as well, so I'm not sure I'm of much help here!

@Hali - we booked our trip through ATR and stayed at Lemala Mpingo Ridge in Tarangire, Entamanu in Ngorogoro and Lemala Kuria Hills in Serengeti. Mpingo Ridge was the best lodge of the three. ATR was quite expensive as well, so I'm not sure I'm of much help here!
Thank you Trevor. One last question - was it a photographically oriented safari?

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back