Followers
Following
Name
Mike
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Although I haven't had a confirmation from someone with factual knowledge, I highly suspect that this sweat bee is cooling itself by repeatedly airing out the liquid in its stomach.

I was lucky enough for the bee to not consider me a threat, land on a leaf right next to me, and start repeatedly extending its mouth parts, wiggling the little flap on the end each time. At first I was completely dumbfounded by the event, but after some research the cooling theory emerged.

SweatBee_S1C_DN.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1000

That's terrific.

I have images of common flies blowing bubbles, though science is still unsure why they do it.

Paul.

That's terrific.

I have images of common flies blowing bubbles, though science is still unsure why they do it.

Paul.

Thanks Paul,

I think I may have seen a photo of a fly blowing bubbles and the description mentioned cooling, so that's how I got the idea about my bee.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back