Anyone here shooting motorsports with an R3?

v12photocompany

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Steve
Hello Everyone!

I am brand new to these forums and will have a welcome post up shortly but wanted to ask if anyone here has an R3 that they are shooting motorsports with? I am a developing automotive photographer looking to move up to an R3 from a Canon 5D Mark IV and wanted to ask some questions.

Looking forward to meeting you all and making helpful contributions to this site!

Thanks!!
Steve

I don’t shoot motor sports, per se, but I do love shooting cars as subjects. I’ve done some fast shots and burst shots, as well as a few shutter drags, too with my R3. Not sure if I’d be much help in answering questions, but feel free to ask them anyway and see if someone, myself or someone else, will chime in to try to help! And welcome!!

Hello!

Thanks for the response and the kind welcome! My first question is to ask what kind of CF cards you are using? I have read through the article here on all of the different cards and it seems that the Lexar Diamond series would suit me best when shooting a long burst of shots when shooting something like a drift competition. Thoughts?

Thanks!!
Steve

I’m using the standard SanDisk CF Express. It performed pretty well in the shoot off article, though it was not class leading in speed, however I’ve not run into a single buffer issue while shooting with it. I’ve performed a couple longer burst shots of about 3-4 seconds nearly back to back without issue.

And out of curiosity, I tested just now to see how many shots I could take and for how long on H+/30fps, before encountering any slowdown or buffer. I was able to go for a little over 11 seconds and got 342 shots. To me, that would be plenty for a drift competition. I am actually wanting to attend the Long Beach Grand Prix that also has the drift competition there too, but that’s not until spring of next year.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back