Best Card Reader for CF Cards?

Welcome to Our Canon RF Shooters Community Forum

We'd love to welcome you on board, join today!

v12photocompany

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Steve
Hello All,

Been researching some card readers for the new CF Cards and was wondering what everyone here has been using. I was looking at a prograde digital card reader found here but the reviews have this reader as getting very hot and some say it’s not great with Mac’s which I find a little hard to believe. Thoughts??

Jake Shoots Birds

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
When I needed to buy one I was told by a 20+ year news photographer not to screw around and just buy the ProGrade you listed. I'm a little freaked by the magnet on the bottom when I travel and I isolate it from any USB drives (paranoia never hurt with data protection), but otherwise they're great.

The CF cards mounted to a Mac act like an external drive and are accessed constantly even when you're not transferring, which is what causes them to get hot. The fact that Lightroom doesn't eject after import doesn't help.

v12photocompany

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Steve
Hi Jake,

Thanks so much for the response! It definitely clears up some of the issues I’ve read about. It looks like I will get this one but will just have to be cautious about certain things as you have described as I would be paranoid with data protection as well.

Thanks!!
Steve

TonyB

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony
I’ve been using the Delkin CF Express Type B card reader, first with an iMac, now with a Mac Studio, and have never had an issue.

RedCobra

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
A Kefauver
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Prograde. And, they all get hot. Remove the card after downloading.

* Remove Ads by Becoming a   Pro Member   *

Latest reviews

• Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    5.00 star(s)
    Canon Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    Use this successfully with EFS18-55 and EFS55-250 on both RP and R10. Quick focusing response in either camera. Small enough to fit in a pants...
    • TandemYardsPhotography
  • Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    5.00 star(s)
    Canon Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R
    I have the standard and the control ring adaptor , other than the control ring the pro’s are the same but the ability to easily customise the...
    • Rob2563
  • Prime Canon RF 85mm F1.2L USM
    5.00 star(s)
    First RF PRIME lens
    This is definitely one of a great lens. I recommend it for people who does portrait photography. I use them in Weddings and Events if I need to...
    • sinbadking
  • Prime Canon RF 600mm F11 IS STM
    5.00 star(s)
    The 600mm f/11 is a viable option not just something to be 'settled for' by people who wanted more
    The tendency for reviewers and 'experts' is to point out that the 600mm f/11 is not as long as the 800 and not as fast as the big and expensive EF...
    • dougsmit
  • Kolari EF-EOS R Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter
    5.00 star(s)
    Review of the Kolari EF-EOS R Drop-In Filter Mount Adapter and drop-in filters.
    After waiting months with no success for delivery of a similar adapter system from a another 3rd-party maker, this spring I purchased the Kolari...
    • Paulie G

* Remove Ads by Becoming a   Pro Member   *