View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

SO8

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
John H
I have ordered an R5 with 24-105 L as a carry round lens (as well as 70-200 f2.8 + 100-500)

I used to have a 5D3 with both 24-105 and 24-70 ... using the 24-70 when I wanted to take stuff closer up with f2.8 as the 24-105 didn't go that close.

Now, I am torn between going down the same route with the RF lenses or getting a 50 f1.2 for the shallow dof. I am also toying with the idea of the 28-70 f2.

It seems I am either going to get shallow depth of field generally or a 24-70 f2.8 to get shallow 'ish but the ability to close focus ?

Short of getting a macro am I right in thinking the RF 24-70 f2.8 is about as good as I will get to go close and compliment what I have on order ??

The 100-500mm you ordered has a pretty impressive minimum focus distance of 900mm at the long end... giving you a 0.33x magnification. If thats what you mean? (I use this is if didn't bring my 100mm macro lens).

But I'm confused about what 'stuff' you mean. Like portraits close up, or like traditional insects and flower type macro shots?

From the close up images I've seen form the RF 100-500 you'll probably be pretty happy - have a look through the galleries here to see what sort of images are being produced with this lens.

From the close up images I've seen form the RF 100-500 you'll probably be pretty happy - have a look through the galleries here to see what sort of images are being produced with this lens.
Same for the 100-400 II. Here's a recent example.

826A5076.jpg

The 100-500mm you ordered has a pretty impressive minimum focus distance of 900mm at the long end... giving you a 0.33x magnification. If thats what you mean? (I use this is if didn't bring my 100mm macro lens).

But I'm confused about what 'stuff' you mean. Like portraits close up, or like traditional insects and flower type macro shots?
'Stuff' for me is not portraits but details shots at weddings close up ... of anything there which is part of the wedding but not the couple or visitors .... button hole flower, the newspapers on the day, anything set up for the day - all these things mix in well with the normal wedding shots ... plus normal macro type insects / flowers etc. I would also add close in on anything I see that I think other people will overlook, and taken at f2.8 or wider. I just love close 'ish' up stuff.

The 100-500 seems brilliant from what I have seen but a lot of what I take is more 'personal' in the sense of I won't have room to step back.

I have ordered an R5 with 24-105 L as a carry round lens (as well as 70-200 f2.8 + 100-500)

I used to have a 5D3 with both 24-105 and 24-70 ... using the 24-70 when I wanted to take stuff closer up with f2.8 as the 24-105 didn't go that close.

Now, I am torn between going down the same route with the RF lenses or getting a 50 f1.2 for the shallow dof. I am also toying with the idea of the 28-70 f2.

It seems I am either going to get shallow depth of field generally or a 24-70 f2.8 to get shallow 'ish but the ability to close focus ?

Short of getting a macro am I right in thinking the RF 24-70 f2.8 is about as good as I will get to go close and compliment what I have on order ??
To me it only makes sense to sell the 24-70, since you are ok with the weight of the 28-70. 4mm wider is not much you would probably get more use out of the 24-105. You can get good bokeh out of a f4 lens just need to position subject and background at the appropriate distance. The real question is what would get the most use out of. You could sell the 24-70 and get the 15-35 if you need wider. That’s my next purchase

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back