Canon R7 Can the firmware update be reversed?

ACEkin

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Cemal Ekin
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I am wondering if it is possible, easy, and harmless to revert to the previous version of firmware after applying an update. I am a little hesitant after having serious problems with two R7 kits on which I had updated the firmware. The new replacement R7 kits we received have older versions of firmware but function fine. If I apply the update and have similar problems to the old ones, can I go back to the previous versions? I read somewhere that this might be a risky operation that can render the camera as a brick!

Solution
I read people have done it successfully. I've never done it so I can't back it.

From the last link

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS​

Of course, since this is not something you’ll find in the manual, you could face some problems with both approaches. When you use the first method with two memory cards, you may need to wait for a long time before the downgrade is over. And I mean, really long time. For Kolbassia, the process froze at 73% and stayed like that for over 12 hours. In...
I read people have done it successfully. I've never done it so I can't back it.

From the last link

POTENTIAL PROBLEMS​

Of course, since this is not something you’ll find in the manual, you could face some problems with both approaches. When you use the first method with two memory cards, you may need to wait for a long time before the downgrade is over. And I mean, really long time. For Kolbassia, the process froze at 73% and stayed like that for over 12 hours. In the end, he just turned off the camera by removing the battery. And when he turned it on again – the process was finished and the firmware was downgraded.

With option number two, though, there were no problems. The only challenge you may face is that you need to be perfectly precise and fast when opening the battery door and clicking OK for the firmware update.

Kolbassia tried both approaches for the Canon EOS R 6, but I assume that it would work with some other models as well. Judging from the comments, most people managed to do it and there was no damage done to their cameras. Still, if you decide to give it a shot, remember that you’re doing it at your own risk.

Solution
Thank you, I think I will wait until I really need something that comes with a firmware update. I don't understand why they make it so hard to go back to an earlier firmware. Oh, well!

Thank you, I think I will wait until I really need something that comes with a firmware update. I don't understand why they make it so hard to go back to an earlier firmware. Oh, well!
Hi ACEKin,
did you update your firmware?

Usually when you have an old or original firmware and your camera is working fine then updating the firmware should end with a positive result. Otherwise the web would be full of people complaining about firmware updates braking their cameras.

I have updated my firmware 2 times after I got my camera without factory resetting my camera and I'm a happy camper.

Each firmware update fix stuff (most of the time more stuff than what the manufacturers care to make public) and add new stuff. They also introduce new issues but that the exception of the rule.

Hi ACEKin,
did you update your firmware?

Usually when you have an old or original firmware and your camera is working fine then updating the firmware should end with a positive result. Otherwise the web would be full of people complaining about firmware updates braking their cameras.

I have updated my firmware 2 times after I got my camera without factory resetting my camera and I'm a happy camper.

Each firmware update fix stuff (most of the time more stuff than what the manufacturers care to make public) and add new stuff. They also introduce new issues but that the exception of the rule.
Not yet, ctitanic. Everything I need from the camera is working fine. Maybe I should look at what I may gain if I update the firmware.

Firmware Version 1.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

-The [User Def.] on [Picture Style] can now be selected in the Cloud Raw image processing settings.
-Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, displays an Error Code 70 when the camera is capturing small subjects.
-Fixes minor issues.

Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

-Adds support for Speedlite EL-5.*
*The autoflash function of the AF-assist beam is not supported.
-Adds support for the RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STM.
-Fixes minor issues.

Firmware Version 1.3.1 incorporates the following enhancement:

Improves the stability of the touch operation control when the [Touch control] is set to [Sensitive].

To me the most important thing is what they do not say when they just say "Fixes minor issues" without details ;)

Firmware Version 1.2.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

-The [User Def.] on [Picture Style] can now be selected in the Cloud Raw image processing settings.
-Fixes an issue that, in rare instances, displays an Error Code 70 when the camera is capturing small subjects.
-Fixes minor issues.

Firmware Version 1.3.0 incorporates the following fixes and enhancements:

-Adds support for Speedlite EL-5.*
*The autoflash function of the AF-assist beam is not supported.
-Adds support for the RF-S55-210mm F5-7.1 IS STM.
-Fixes minor issues.

Firmware Version 1.3.1 incorporates the following enhancement:

Improves the stability of the touch operation control when the [Touch control] is set to [Sensitive].

To me the most important thing is what they do not say when they just say "Fixes minor issues" without details ;)
Thank you! I don't think I am missing anything yet.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back