Can Using Tiff Instead of Jpg Files Overcome Resolution Issues?

I've had the same issues with this software, where it randomly decides to smooth some part of a person. There's a threshold slider that lets you adjust some settings, but they don't really give the user as much control as I'd like.

Great photo though. Would love to see more of your work.

Edit: On a second thought, are you using the Gigapixel, or their combined PhotoAI? I don't think Gigapixel should be smoothing things. It's some "photo enhance" feature that's doing that.

Last edited:
OK, so I just downloaded a trial version of Gigapixel AI and just ran it mostly auto on one of my 20mb jpgs off the R6, and it banged it up by 4x, changing my 300 dpi 41cmx28cm image into a 166cmx113cm at 300 dpi. Now I didn't fiddle with the face recovery and grain reduction and other controls. I do notice some odd blurring on parts of the faces, etc. I take it all of this can be sorted out by tweaking the settings? Image 1 below is he original jpg, 2 is a 100% crop from it, and 3 is the same area on the Gigapixel image, showing the odd blur.
Just a guess but looking at the face and the focus, this seems like a bit of a depth of field issue and not a resolution issue. Also, Gigapixel AI also has a Sharpen AI-associated program that may help some of this. Also, they have a newer version of a combined program that may provide all of the Sharpen Resize, and other functions in it. I'm looking into this now.

It's the Gigapixel AI
I've had the same issues with this software, where it randomly decides to smooth some part of a person. There's a threshold slider that lets you adjust some settings, but they don't really give the user as much control as I'd like.

Great photo though. Would love to see more of your work.

Edit: On a second thought, are you using the Gigapixel, or their combined PhotoAI? I don't think Gigapixel should be smoothing things. It's some "photo enhance" feature that's doing that.
It's the Gigapixel AI image upscaler that I'm trying out: https://www.topazlabs.com/gigapixel-ai I guess I'll have to do some more with it and see if there's any way of controlling it better.

Thanks for the compliment, Kwazy. You can see my work on insta: @sonofthemorninglight or https://www.instagram.com/sonofthemorninglight/ Some of the most recent shots are with the R6 I'm trialing.

Just a guess but looking at the face and the focus, this seems like a bit of a depth of field issue and not a resolution issue. Also, Gigapixel AI also has a Sharpen AI-associated program that may help some of this. Also, they have a newer version of a combined program that may provide all of the Sharpen Resize, and other functions in it. I'm looking into this now.
Well, I'm trying to use it just for upscaling so maybe I should turn everything down to the minimum?

So I tried it again, with everything switched off (see screenshot) and there doesn't seem to be any odd smoothing or blurring.

Attachments

• 064A0054-gigapixel-low_res-scale-4_00x.jpg
    064A0054-gigapixel-low_res-scale-4_00x.jpg
    640.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 13.50.19 copy.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-04 at 13.50.19 copy.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 62
So I just ran the CR3 file of the above image through Gigapixel at x2 and it gave me a DNG file that can be fully processed in CR (it's huge, though at 500mb), and the 92cmx63cm 300dpi Jpg off that came in at a 50mb file. I think this will solve my resolution issues.

Sorry about the chain of comments, guys, but I'm kinda excited to find out that the newer versions of CR have this 'Super Resolution' feature that doubles the size of the CR files, but still manages to give an output jpg file that's a more manageable 38mb. It's not so versatile as Gigapixel, but it is free, and plugs right into my current workflow with CR + PS, without adding in a standalone $100 piece of software. And since I'm mostly interested in the scaling feature, I may go with this.

Did you notice the colorful artifacts in the screenshot you provided? Those might show up when printed! Looks like a glitch in the software.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back