Canadian Rockies Road Trip (December 8, 2022)

Bear

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry Kwiatkowski
City/State
Eckville
So, stuck inside with temperatures of -30C (plus wind chill). Finally nice yesterday (only -14C when I left)

Canon EOS R5
RF 100-500mm
Mode: Av
Handheld

1st Photo:
Focal length: 200mm
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 250
Shutter Speed: 1/320s

2nd Photo (snowing at higher elevation):
Focal length: 500mm
Aperture: f/11
ISO: 250
Shutter Speed: 1/250s

Attachments

• Rockies 2.jpg
    Rockies 2.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Rockies 4.jpg
    Rockies 4.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 41
You're a brave man for heading out in those temps. Great shots, by the way.

You're a brave man for heading out in those temps. Great shots, by the way.
Thanks Mike. I’m really hesitant about taking the gear out in the extreme cold (-20C and colder), but other photographers seemed to think -14C would be fine and I was tired of being stuck indoors. I took the chance and very happy with the shots and extremely happy that gear is working just fine. Thanks again!

Wow, great shots, especially in those temps! I give you lots of credit for that, I bundled up for a walk today while it was 3C and didn't want to think about taking my hands out of my pockets and my hand warmers

Wow, great shots, especially in those temps! I give you lots of credit for that, I bundled up for a walk today while it was 3C and didn't want to think about taking my hands out of my pockets and my hand warmers
Thanks Hali! It gets cold up here in Canada. -14C just ain’t that cold. Who am I kidding. You get use to it.👍

Thanks Hali! It gets cold up here in Canada. -14C just ain’t that cold. Who am I kidding. You get use to it.👍
Ha! I guess you must. We are thinking of moving north for retirement (not as far north as you, just New Hampshire) but that will take some getting used to as well.

Glad to hear that the gear worked well at those temps. I've always wondered what effects that level of cold will have, other than condensation - lubricants getting gummy or freezing, etc. Now that winter is here in the northeast, based upon your experience I think that I'll leave my timidity in the house and venture outdoors more often.

Hope it works for you, but since I don’t know what lens you use, be careful. My lenses are the USM L Series (weather resistant) with Canon specs stating “Weather-resistant seals at lens mount, switches, zoom ring, focus ring, and Control Ring”. I cannot say the same for the STM lenses. So, play safe and take a rain cover (snow cover) should your lenses be STM version. Side note: Watched a YouTube video one day where the professional photographer took his USM L series lenses, and R5, out to photograph countryside, while it was snowing. No rain cover, gear hit with wet snow and he wasn’t worried at all. Not sure if I would do the same. Would I attempt that? Not yet! Always pack my rain cover.

Thanks for the info and advice. I'll be cautious.

Nice images. When we were there in September our visibility was limited by smoke from the Jasper Fire.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back