Followers
Following
Name
Tim
City/State
Shropshire
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
Canon firmware update 1.6.0 is now available for the R5.

Version 1.6.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
  1. Adds [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] to the menu for movie recording. When [High] is selected, the camera will not automatically turn off when the temperature of the camera body and card become high, which may allow for longer movie recording than before, depending on the shooting conditions. Note that the temperature of the bottom surface of the camera may increase at this time.
  2. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images into multiple JPEG images.
  3. Enhances the performance of “Movie Digital IS”. It stabilizes the image when taking selfies or walking shots using a wide-angle lens.
  4. Fixes minor issues.
Firmware Version 1.6.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.2. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.6.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe

Looks to be more video than a stills orientated update so I’ll wait for the next one.

• Admin
Looks to be more video than a stills orientated update so I’ll wait for the next one.
It does. There are the minor fixes though, it's a shame that Canon does not expand on what these are.

I've been to Canon's web site today and looked at available firmware for my R5, and this purported update is not listed. The most recent one on Canon's own site is v1.5.2 from 11 March 2022. Any thoughts from the forum?

Canon firmware update 1.6.0 is now available for the R5.

Version 1.6.0 incorporates the following enhancements and fixes:
  1. Adds [Auto Power Off Temp.: Standard/High] to the menu for movie recording. When [High] is selected, the camera will not automatically turn off when the temperature of the camera body and card become high, which may allow for longer movie recording than before, depending on the shooting conditions. Note that the temperature of the bottom surface of the camera may increase at this time.
  2. Adds the ability to convert multiple HEIF images into multiple JPEG images.
  3. Enhances the performance of “Movie Digital IS”. It stabilizes the image when taking selfies or walking shots using a wide-angle lens.
  4. Fixes minor issues.
Firmware Version 1.6.0 is for cameras with firmware up to Version 1.5.2. If the camera's firmware is already Version 1.6.0, it is not necessary to update the firmware.

The firmware can be downloaded from Canon's Support Sites. US / Europe
Yes it does seem to be mainly a video update so I think I will give a miss until the next one.

Yes it does seem to be mainly a video update so I think I will give a miss until the next one.
I do use my R5 for video but, as I said above, Canon in the UK doesn't have the 1.6.0 firmware listed as available on their web site.

Now I have received a message from Canon UK that the 1.6.0 firmware is available. Others posting here must presumably have been in parts of the world where it was released earlier, as it wasn't on their site last night.

Publication varies by a few days across all the Canon support sites, but the firmware images are region independent so makes no difference which Canon site you download from.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back