Canon R5 What Brand and Size of CF Express Card are you using?

I use Sandisk Extreme Pro for both CFexpress and UHS-II SDSDXPK (SD card). They are both 64GB and spendy! I have not found rating higher than them. Unless you are shooting video, CFexpress is not necessary. It has a faster write speed than the UHS-II counterpart, which is perfect for "High-speed continuous shooting +" (12 FPS mechanical/20 FPS electronic).

CFexpress = 800 MBs/sec (write)
UHS-II = 300 MBs/sec (write)

Then again, as a backup media slot, it is VERY viable.

Attachments

• hoodman_hscfast128_cfast_2_0_3700x_128gb_1565614017_1499360.jpg
    hoodman_hscfast128_cfast_2_0_3700x_128gb_1565614017_1499360.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 91
I use the Rocketek USB 3.1 Gen 2 10Gbps CFexpress Reader.

I bought a Sony tough …128gb as it is on the list of approved cards.
not tried it yet though … I need the camera to actually arrive !
I'm not sure what "approved" actually means. You should be able to use any CFexpress reader. Sony cost more than others. So did Sandisk ($99). No big deal of course, but it's just a card reader and I'm sure it will perform well.

I realize that we all want to do things correctly and want zero risks. Especially with new equipment.

I'm not sure what "approved" actually means. You should be able to use any CFexpress reader. Sony cost more than others. So did Sandisk ($99). No big deal of course, but it's just a card reader and I'm sure it will perform well.

I realize that we all want to do things correctly and want zero risks. Especially with new equipment.
I’ve only had cards cause me issues on a Go Pro and a Blackvue dash cam … but want to minimise potential problems so bought a Sony card for the first time. I didn’t notice it being hugely dearer than others but to be fair didn’t look far and only on Amazon uk.

I made the mistake of defaulting to my life-long go-to brand, Sandisk. Pretty much every micro SD< SD, and back in the day compact flash, card I own is/has been SanDisk. Figured that'd be the route to go with the R5, and upon seeing the price tags, settled on the 128GB SanDisk CFE card.

About half a day later I stumbled across the Canon 'supported' card matrix and finally realized the smaller SanDisks have a lower write speed than the 512+. There was no way in hell I was getting my R5 in hand a day later and NOT be guaranteed solid 8K (despite having ZERO use for 8K....)

Placed a rush order with B&H immediately for the Sony 128 due to it being on the supported list and not the most pricey thing on said list. Of course, testing 8K on the Sony was successful (didn't even bother testing it on the SanDisk.)

I'm still keeping both though, since 99.999999999999999999% of my use will NOT be shooting 8k, and easily 80% of that will be stills. The speed that these cards offload to the computer is ridiculously fast so I definitely don't regret picking them up. I mean, they're literally NVME SSD drives on a PCI Express bus, shrunken into a camera.

Makes me wonder how I ever 'endured' transferring a day's shoot off of relatively speedy UHS-I SD cards.

All paired with the ProGrade UHS-II SD/CFExpress combo reader, which is also scary fast, and works well directly latched to both my Samsung Tab S6+, and iPadPro m1.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back