Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Greg Sinclair
City/State
Telford
I read somewhere, could have been on RFShooters or another forum cannot remember, the assumption the new RF lenses were just re-clothed EF with a RF mount.

I believe the RF are all new technologies. I'm thinking of getting a 85mm f1.2 RF and looked to see if the EF would do, obviously a lot cheaper. That was until I used this site to compare the 2 lenses

You won't be disappointed with the 85mm. It's SO fast and sharp. It IS heavy, however, and takes up a lot of real estate in the bag. My arms get fatigued after holding it more than a few minutes and it shows in camera shake, even with IBIS. I have to use the tripod if I'm going to take more than a few photos. (And I've been using dumbbells to cope!) It's gotten better, but I thought I should mention it.

If you want the very best in a portrait lens, with a razor sharp focus, paper thin depth of field, and creamy smooth bokeh, it is definitely the lens to have. The forearms like Popeye are just an added bonus. LOL

The forearms like Popeye are just an added bonus. LOL
I've been going to the gym for a long time, lifting a few kilos is nothing, although I am reluctant to schlep everything with me on my back. My R5 camera and even the 24-240 RF is not what I would call excessive. I like its mass, it acts as ballast where a compact camera could wobble in your hands, this lot just anchors you.

Yes, I do like the balance, especially with the grip added to the camera. I mention the weight not specifically to you, but to anyone that might be reading the forums also weighing their choices on lenses. For some, weight can be a deciding factor when adding to their kit, especially when fatigue can contribute to problems in focusing.

Yes, I do like the balance, especially with the grip added to the camera. I mention the weight not specifically to you, but to anyone that might be reading the forums also weighing their choices on lenses. For some, weight can be a deciding factor when adding to their kit, especially when fatigue can contribute to problems in focusing.
I had given a lot of thought about the weight. If you buy a full size sensor camera you have to expect a big camera and that comes with big lenses. It's all going to be heavy

We have been spoiled by capable compacts, I have a Canon IXUS 255HS, it weight just 142 grams. That's less than 1/10 of a R5 with RF 24-240mm

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back