Joetheslug

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Joe
So once I'd purchased my R5, I soon realised I needed to purchase a plethora of other bits an bobs. Included in this were spare batteries. So I went about searching for the best deals.

Anyhow, I came across a bargain. A site had a one chance offer of a Lp-e6nh for £27.99. I know, I know, if it's too good to be true, it will be.

Well the battery arrived and it was fake. But it looked to be genuine on the surface.

However, after a bit of research I found the following indicators to show if they are counterfeit.

1. Packaging has a Canon hologram on.
2. The hologram turns green, viewed at an angle.
3. The black casing is hard to press in.
4. On the reverse, there is a blue sticker. On it there is an 8 digit serial number
5. The Canon printed on the hologram is faint, almost translucent.

Without looking closely at the battery, you'd be easily fooled.

Hope this helps you all.

Joe

IMG-20210409-WA0011.jpeg
  • SM-N975F
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/127 sec
  • ISO 50
IMG-20210409-WA0013.jpeg
  • SM-N975F
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 64
IMG-20210409-WA0005.jpeg
  • SM-N975F
  • 4.3 mm
  • ƒ/1.5
  • 1/50 sec
  • ISO 160

Last edited:
When ever I get a camera I always buy spare batteries. I never buy genuine Canon batteries, pointless expensive exercise

If there was such a thing as a fake R5 and it was just as good and half the price I would give it a go.

I have a fake Cartier watch, cost £2. You cannot tell it from a genuine until you look at the back

Not sure it's a pointless exercise, expensive yes. Thanks for commenting. :)

Sorry. Should not have said pointless. None standard accessories could have detrimental effects on the camera, but it's well known 3rd party equipment is in the main as good as OE

There are countless documented examples of faulty, dangerous and detrimental batteries. This is not something to be dismissed just by those whom are thrifty. YMMV and yes, not all 3rd party batteries are created equal but you will always be able to count on a Canon battery. I have had unusable (non chipped batteries) decent 3rd party (lasting 1/2-2/3 as long) on and on. I will never buy another off brand battery. Wasabi were ok but nothing is the same. I buy many things used, off brand, refurbished etc but this is one area I have learned you get what you pay for.

I'm not saying being frugal is anything too be ashamed of, but it's no badge of honor either. To each their own.

I'm not saying being frugal is anything too be ashamed of, but it's no badge of honor either. To each their own.
I agree.

I must have had a dozen Canon cameras, they have all had 3rd party batteries. Probably 30 or 40 batteries between them all together. Never had a single problem with one of them. I never take any notice of what make they are, they not Canon therefore could be anything, you don't have any control over their quality . What you can contol, and I do this as often as possible, if buying from eBay only buy from sellers with a feedback score of a minimum of 99.5%. That gives you some assurance you are buy goods that do not get returned very often, or the seller is likely to help you when something is faulty

I've bought third party batteries for my Fuji cameras, but I've stuck with Canon with my 1DX and R5. If buying a £3000+ camera body I think one should be able to afford to buy the genuine batteries. But each to their own no business of mine what other people do with their money. I won't risk it as a friend of mine had a non Canon battery expand in camera. 👍

I've bought third party batteries for my Fuji cameras, but I've stuck with Canon with my 1DX and R5. If buying a £3000+ camera body I think one should be able to afford to buy the genuine batteries. But each to their own no business of mine what other people do with their money. I won't risk it as a friend of mine had a non Canon battery expand in camera. 👍
Maybe be I have been incredibly lucky not to have had a dud battery in about 20 years of digital cameras

I've recently bought a Neewer USB double charger which came with two Neewer Lp-e6nh batteries, all for approx £49. I also have three genuine Canon Lp-e6nh. The Neewers have worked perfectly and the chargers also charges the Canon batteries.

You were robbed 😉

I bought a nondescript charger with 2 batteries for £18. On ebay UK. They worked perfectly. As soon as they arrived and tried them. I tried to order another set. Could not find the same deal

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back