Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
Before I left Nikon and grabbed an R5, I spent half a decade committed to a Nikon D500 with various lenses to shoot wildlife. I bought a Z6ii with the intention of moving to mirrorless but had the opportunity to side-by-side it with an R6 and R5 (and also shoot with the 100-500mm RF lens) and it convinced me to switch.

So, with that said, the D500 is a 20MB camera that I shot with for a LOOOONG time with zero issues, so I'm wondering about a cropped sensor Canon camera that has the performance of the R3 (not talking about focus system) but delivers 20-24MB images in 1.6x cropped mode. I often put my R5 in 1.6x cropped mode, but would love more pixels. If Canon introduces a high performance, cropped-sensor camera, does that excite anyone? I''m good with it.

So, with that said, the D500 is a 20MB camera that I shot with for a LOOOONG time with zero issues, so I'm wondering about a cropped sensor Canon camera that has the performance of the R3 (not talking about focus system) but delivers 20-24MB images in 1.6x cropped mode. I often put my R5 in 1.6x cropped mode, but would love more pixels. If Canon introduces a high performance, cropped-sensor camera, does that excite anyone? I''m good with it.
Patiently waiting for the R7.

Patiently waiting for the R7.
Patiently waiting for enough information on the R7 to know if I want to patiently wait for one. If it's more of a hobbiest camera and not something at least as capable as the R5 in 1.6X but with more MP's then I'll likely pass.

Patiently waiting for enough information on the R7 to know if I want to patiently wait for one. If it's more of a hobbiest camera and not something at least as capable as the R5 in 1.6X but with more MP's then I'll likely pass.
Supposedly it will be like an R6 with 30-35mps and price between the R6 and the R5. (Canon rumors) maybe with a BSI sensor. Hopefully available before I go back to Africa, if not I may buy a second R5.

Supposedly it will be like an R6 with 30-35mps and price between the R6 and the R5. (Canon rumors) maybe with a BSI sensor. Hopefully available before I go back to Africa, if not I may buy a second R5.
Given that I have an R6 that wouldn't bother me provided that the performance is as mentioned. BSI sensor would be perfect, and I wouldn't mind the eye tracking focus.

I saw an article that said Canon may release 3 new cameras in the spring. One of them, they don't say which, will not have an EVF. They said one will be a crop sensor, one will be a replacement for the RP which will be somewhere around the spec's of the R6 and the other will be a midpoint replacement for the original R. Other than that, I didn't get much out of the article, except that they seem to have a "source" for chips internally, so the cameras may be available soon after announcement.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back