Followers
Following
Name
Stuart Rook
City/State
Colchester
Hi,

First post, be kind!

I've just moved to an R5 from an R6 and I've been setting it up for video which is something I never did with the R6, or the R before it. I've been googling like mad this evening to try and work out what the "D" icon (inside a double box graphic) is for. Can't find it in the manual but that's so big you go word-blind. It's positioned just above the shutter speed on the rear screen and in the left-hand column of icons in the viewfinder, just above the mic levels.

If anyone can enlighten me I'd be able to sleep tonight :)

Cheers.

I've added a fairly naff picture of it. Been a photographer since 1967 - should be ashamed of this one :rolleyes:

Attachments

• 20220816_224357.jpg
    20220816_224357.jpg
    281.4 KB · Views: 110
Solution
Hi,

Well, I found the answer last night after going through some of the more obscure menu items. Now that I know, the icon and it's design makes perfect sense.

Yellow wrench menu, page 1, item 1 " Record func+card/folder set" allows you to specify how data is written to the memory cards - write to both, write separately etc.

I had mine set, for the first 3 items when you select the above menu item, to: "Disable", "Rec. to multiple", "Rec. to Multiple" . I assume the settings defaulted from how I'd set things up for stills. I hadn't yet considered the best way of doing it for video (not sure I've got it right for stills either - need to spend a bit more time with the manual on this).

The "D" in the two squares shows that I'm...
Hi...I have the R6 so guessing here ..is it related to having highlight tone priority activated?

PB

Hi,

I switched highlight priority on and an icon showing the setting (D+1, D+2) appeared in the ISO box displayed bottom right. The "D" in the double box stayed there irrespective of the highlight priority setting. I can't help thinking the double box containing the D is significant, it's nothing to do with Dual Pixel (which seemed the obvious). When I toggle the INFO button through the various views the D icon and the stopwatch icons toggle on or off together and I note that they take a second or so to display after everything else has appeared, probably not relevant.

No sign of the icon in photo mode so it's definitely seems to be video related.

I actually set my video settings up by watching Jan Wegener's instructional video on YouTube, I think I'll re-watch it to see if he gets it on his camera - might even drop him a line, he's pretty good at answering comments.

I'm running firmware 1.6.0 BTW

Hi,

Well, I found the answer last night after going through some of the more obscure menu items. Now that I know, the icon and it's design makes perfect sense.

Yellow wrench menu, page 1, item 1 " Record func+card/folder set" allows you to specify how data is written to the memory cards - write to both, write separately etc.

I had mine set, for the first 3 items when you select the above menu item, to: "Disable", "Rec. to multiple", "Rec. to Multiple" . I assume the settings defaulted from how I'd set things up for stills. I hadn't yet considered the best way of doing it for video (not sure I've got it right for stills either - need to spend a bit more time with the manual on this).

The "D" in the two squares shows that I'm writing to both (Dual?) cards. Simple as that. Enabling the first option (write video / stills to separate cards) turns the icon off.

That was 4 or 5 hours I won't ever get back ;) Just ordered a video tripod head to make me feel better :)

Solution

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back