DIY Sensor Cleaning

Rhody

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry
I have never attempted to clean my own sensors. I've always been happy to let the shop do it but I've been unhappy with them on the last 2 occasions.
I am not expecting perfection from the camera shops and I'm quite happy to clone out the odd dust spot in Photoshop.
I am always careful changing lenses on location or in the studio and follow all the guidelines but, sensors do inevitably attract dust particles and get dirty.
I have watched the video tutorials of how to do it but the first time is going to be nerve wracking if I go down this route at all.
Is it better to just leave it to the shop or is the DIY option easy to undertake?

I was very nervous the first time I did one, I bought a LensPen SensorKlear kit and followed the instructions. I was very pleased with the outcome the first time and have since done it on numerous occasions without nerves or any problems. I've not needed to try it with a mirrorless body but I suspect it would be very similar to do.

I was very nervous the first time I did one, I bought a LensPen SensorKlear kit and followed the instructions. I was very pleased with the outcome the first time and have since done it on numerous occasions without nerves or any problems. I've not needed to try it with a mirrorless body but I suspect it would be very similar to do.
Many thanks Stoo - I suppose I've let the scare stories undermine my confidence.
Perhaps I need to practice on an old DSLR before I try it on a mirrorless body.
I've read that a wet clean is best to be used only if other options fail.
I wonder how many sensor cleaning virgins there are out there? I know I am one :D

I understand mirrorless is a whole new ball game. I think it will be an opportunity to learn something new.

It's not hard at all. Watch a few tuts on YouTube, go slow, don't drink too much coffee beforehand and you will have a clean sensor. I have done it dozens of times and did as good or better of a job than a shop. or a fraction of a price. Working on your own gear is satisfying as well.

It's not hard at all. Watch a few tuts on YouTube, go slow, don't drink too much coffee beforehand and you will have a clean sensor. I have done it dozens of times and did as good or better of a job than a shop. or a fraction of a price. Working on your own gear is satisfying as well.
Very many thanks for the inspiration - I want to do it - but I can't pretend I'm not nervous about doing it.

Very many thanks for the inspiration - I want to do it - but I can't pretend I'm not nervous about doing it.
I'm pretty sure the people working at camera shops went through the same thing their first time, were shown how in the same manner you might be from a reputable video source and didn't attend special classes or whatnot. You will be fine, you just go slow, use even steady strokes and do not reuse swabs. Amazon is full of great kits for very little these days. I used the VSGO brand not long ago, Easy Peasy.

I'm pretty sure the people working at camera shops went through the same thing their first time, were shown how in the same manner you might be from a reputable video source and didn't attend special classes or whatnot. You will be fine, you just go slow, use even steady strokes and do not reuse swabs. Amazon is full of great kits for very little these days. I used the VSGO brand not long ago, Easy Peasy.
I really appreciate those encouraging words - thank you.

This is a video I did a while back. It may be of use...

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back