DPP4 What are your thoughts?

Angelo

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
R6 with RF 800mm, processed in DPP 4! Big question to the group! How many use DPP 4 for editing RAW files? I for one totally new to Canon's ecosystem can positively say that IMHO it is excellent but slow at rendering. The colours with Auto-Lighting Optimizer are absolutely stunning!

Attachments

• IMG_8364-DPP.jpeg
    IMG_8364-DPP.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 60
Anyone have trouble with DPP4 crashing on Win10? I upgraded to the latest version and it now opens and immediately crashes. Have deleted and reinstalled several times. LR, PS and PL6 work fine.

I use DPP4 without problems but I did go through a spell when it kept crashing. That was on my previous Mac that only had 8gb of memory, I now have 16gb and so far so good.
I don't tend to use it for processing, just for viewing, sorting and culling. To PP I drag an image in to Photoshop. I find DPP laborious and very hit and miss on the sliders so it's rare that I use the edit function, usually only when an image needs no tweaking.

I use DPP4 without problems but I did go through a spell when it kept crashing. That was on my previous Mac that only had 8gb of memory, I now have 16gb and so far so good.
I don't tend to use it for processing, just for viewing, sorting and culling. To PP I drag an image in to Photoshop. I find DPP laborious and very hit and miss on the sliders so it's rare that I use the edit function, usually only when an image needs no tweaking.
I didn't use it much either except to check focus point. I have plenty of computer to run it. Just the last upgrade seemed to not work. 4.12 works, 4.16 crashes.

Last edited:
The colours with Auto-Lighting Optimizer are absolutely stunning!

I'll need to check it out. I struggle with white balance often enough.

Anyone have trouble with DPP4 crashing on Win10? I upgraded to the latest version and it now opens and immediately crashes. Have deleted and reinstalled several times. LR, PS and PL6 work fine.
In explorer check the contents of the folder DPP is opening. DPP sometimes does not like DNGs.

R6 with RF 800mm, processed in DPP 4! Big question to the group! How many use DPP 4 for editing RAW files? I for one totally new to Canon's ecosystem can positively say that IMHO it is excellent but slow at rendering. The colours with Auto-Lighting Optimizer are absolutely stunning!
Also new and also found it slow. Currently trying PS and LRC. Like it so far, but lots to learn.

Also new and also found it slow. Currently trying PS and LRC. Like it so far, but lots to learn.
Definitely a huge learning curve. What I have learnt regarding speed performance is that the app and the image files need to reside on the computer. In my case, the image files were all on an external drive. Hence it was slow. What I have also learnt is that we buy a great product, but to maximize its performance, it is best to use DPP and take advantage of the integration with both the camera's firmware with RF Lens and DPP before taking a TIFF file into LRC and or PS for any further processing. This is Canon's secret sauce, which is never shared with third parties like LRC and PS!

Definitely a huge learning curve. What I have learnt regarding speed performance is that the app and the image files need to reside on the computer. In my case, the image files were all on an external drive. Hence it was slow. What I have also learnt is that we buy a great product, but to maximize its performance, it is best to use DPP and take advantage of the integration with both the camera's firmware with RF Lens and DPP before taking a TIFF file into LRC and or PS for any further processing. This is Canon's secret sauce, which is never shared with third parties like LRC and PS!
Makes sense to me. Since I’m still trialling PS and LRC right now, I might want to get the most out of DPP before paying for PS and LRC. Time to focus on Canon’s DPP (leaves more money for camera gear😄).

DPP has it's uses but it's painfully slow in edit mode. Fine as a viewer and works well if you just drag and drop an image in to photoshop to edit there. Converting to TIFF or DNG is just another step that takes time and hard drive space.
I load all my files to and work in them from an external hard drive.
I'm not actually convinced that DPP brings anything to the PP party. Maybe someone can enlighten me.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back