Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Davison
Hello all,
writing with a quick question: is it possible to connect my R6 to my PC so that my PC screen will show me what the camera is seeing? I know how to record and transfer files using USB or WiFi but haven't yet figured out if it's possible for the two screens (R6 screen and PC screen) to mirror each other? Thanks in advance for your consideration, all replies most gratefully appreciated.

Chris

Hi.
Check out the Advanced Manual page 589 - "Connecting to a Computer via Wi-Fi."
There's a section on "Operating the Camera Using EOS Utility."

You can also use an HDMI cable to connect to any HDMI device, but that has some limitations.

Hi Mike,
thanks for your reply, really appreciate your taking the time. I have connected my R6 to my computer using WiFi and am transferring files, all good there. But I haven't yet figured out if it's possible for the two screens (R6 screen and PC screen) to mirror each other? Whatever my R6 screen displays would also be displayed (mirrored) real-time on my PC screen? Is this possible? Thanks much, hope you are well.

Chris

Chris,

I haven't actually tried this yet myself, but reading the manual it sounds like this can be done. The pages I quoted seem to be different in the manual I just pulled up from the website - perhaps they changed them

On page 596 it says "Using EOS Utility, you can import images from the camera, control the camera, and perform other operations"

Have you tried "controlling the camera"? It seems to be implying that you can do more than just transfer the files.

Please let me know if you've read the chapter in the manual about Using EOS Utility to control the camera and have tried following the steps.
If you have but something is amiss, I can try doing this myself sometime this weekend to see if I can get it to work.

Hi Mike,
it looks like it might be possible using the Remote Live View function. I haven't been able to get it work but it does seem to be possible. Any thoughts?

Chris

Hi Chris,
If I understand your request (see your image on a computer screen while shooting), that is called "tethering". I checked my copy of the R5 manual and I can't find any reference to it. I know that you're shooting with an R6 and there might be some differences, so it might be worthwhile scouring the R6 manual. I do find it hard to believe that Canon didn't add that feature to either the R5 or R6 though.

Mike

Perhaps you need and HDMI connection for that.
Unfortunately I won't have time to do this myself in the next few days, but should really try it out because this gets brought up from time to time, and it sounds like a feature worth knowing about.

You might be better off calling Canon tech support in the meantime. I'm sure they'll be able to help.

Hi Chris,
If I understand your request (see your image on a computer screen while shooting), that is called "tethering". I checked my copy of the R5 manual and I can't find any reference to it. I know that you're shooting with an R6 and there might be some differences, so it might be worthwhile scouring the R6 manual. I do find it hard to believe that Canon didn't add that feature to either the R5 or R6 though.

Mike
Hi Mike Z,
I believe you are exactly right, with the R6 you have to tether the camera to your PC using an HDMI cable (Micro HDMI from the camera, to regular HDMI port in the PC) and then you can activate Remote Live Viewing via the EOS Utility app on the PC. And then basically, the PC screen becomes a large real-time monitor while adjusting lights, focal distance, sound, etc. Seems especially useful for video recording and/or for on-location photo shoots since you can set up the camera and tripod in one location then view and control it from your PC in another location.

Chris

Perhaps you need and HDMI connection for that.
Unfortunately I won't have time to do this myself in the next few days, but should really try it out because this gets brought up from time to time, and it sounds like a feature worth knowing about.

You might be better off calling Canon tech support in the meantime. I'm sure they'll be able to help.
It has to be an HDMI connection, doesn't work over WiFi even though you transfer files over WiFi. And then I had to be very careful to order the right HDMI cable, turns out the Mini HDMI and Micro HDMI are different sizes and it's the latter port that is built into the R6.
I'll be testing it this weekend and it should work well (said every beginner ever).

Chris

It has to be an HDMI connection, doesn't work over WiFi even though you transfer files over WiFi.

Glad you figured it out. I kept wanting to say "using the included HDMI cable" but then thought that it probably came with my "bundle" but not necessarily included if someone buys just the camera.

Nevertheless, perhaps it's worth noting that I was able to control the camera and see what the camera sees on my phone using their app with just the WiFi and Bluetooth connections (it needs both). So if you have a large iPad or tablet, you can get it to work w/o HDMI unless you specifically need it to be on a computer.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back