Steinr98

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Ronald Stein
Using BBF, and the eye detection is on, the focusing square can be anyplace in the view finder. One time it is in the upper right corner and the next time in the lower left corner. This does not allow for any composition when shooting. If I change to one shot or spot focusing, the square stays in the middle. Yes I can move the square, but when shooting BIF, I don't have time to do this. Any fix anyone?

ON another note I just learned that some CF express cards run cooler than others, and If you are shooting movies you may want a cooler card so the camera does not over heat very quickly.

I use single point on the shutter button and eye detect on the BB . It works well for me as previously to getting the R5 I was never a fan of BBF. Now however, I select and focus the target with the shutter button then using my spare thumb I click on BBF and the eye detect takes over. If it can't detect an eye it at least stays on the target.

I use single point on the shutter button and eye detect on the BB . It works well for me as previously to getting the R5 I was never a fan of BBF. Now however, I select and focus the target with the shutter button then using my spare thumb I click on BBF and the eye detect takes over. If it can't detect an eye it at least stays on the target.
Thanks for the note! However, personally I do use BBF and dislike using the shutter button for focusing as a lot of times I end up taking a photo instead of just focusing. I may have to try this and see how it works!

Thanks for the note! However, personally I do use BBF and dislike using the shutter button for focusing as a lot of times I end up taking a photo instead of just focusing. I may have to try this and see how it works!
You either need to be gentle with the shutter button which isn't that sensitive or assign a different back button to single point to use my method . The buttons on the R5 are a bit on the small side and I even have two assigned to eye detect in case I hit the wrong one.

I have the 2 button set up-" * " for the one shot and the" AF-on" for face tracking. I will try using the * first (the square is always in the middle-)and see if that will bring the AF square back to the middle when I hit the AF-on button-
Thanks again!

I have been trying to decide / figure out the best way to do something like this, I.E. shutter button = AF single point (non servo AF), and back AF button = eye detect (servo AF). When I set this up in custom settings for the back AF button to use eye AF, it doesn’t work as expected, as in it doesn’t do anything. I assume because my main AF setting is not on servo or something. Is this how you use yours, and if so could you explain how to set this up? Much appreciated!

You have asked the question at a bad moment! All my gear is packed away and I'm about to leave on holiday. Took me ages to fit in the bag so I don't want to get it out but if there's a wifi signal where I'm off to I'll update.
From memory you need to set up for animal eye detect in the AF menu, also choose servo for all buttons including the shutter.
When you customise the buttons make sure you have chosen the one with eye detect for the back focus button, it's not obvious but there are lots of choices and you have to scroll down the screen to find the one you want for each button.

Using BBF, and the eye detection is on, the focusing square can be anyplace in the view finder. One time it is in the upper right corner and the next time in the lower left corner. This does not allow for any composition when shooting. If I change to one shot or spot focusing, the square stays in the middle. Yes I can move the square, but when shooting BIF, I don't have time to do this. Any fix anyone?

ON another note I just learned that some CF express cards run cooler than others, and If you are shooting movies you may want a cooler card so the camera does not over heat very quickly.
Not sure about the R5, but I can re-center that square by pressing the joystick (multi controller)straight in on my R6. It's in the custom settings.

On my R6 I can re-centre the focussing square by pressing the Set button.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back