Thalweg

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Brent Sobotka
Hi everyone. I'm diligently trying to learn my Canon R6 II. Diving into the world of macro photography. There is a gentleman on YouTube who uses a speedlight for his focus bracketing. However, he is using an Olympus camera. I've been trying to figure out how to do that on my R6 II. I've pretty much concluded that it isn't possible, but I thought I'd ask folks who have a whole bunch more knowledge of the system than I have. Has anyone ever tried that?

At this point, I think the R3 is the only Canon that will do it. The R5ii, I think, will when it arrives, and the R1 should also.

I have done it with the R3. I need to set a fairly long flash interval with my 430EXii so that it doesn't miss any flashes after 40 exposures!

At this point, I think the R3 is the only Canon that will do it. The R5ii, I think, will when it arrives, and the R1 should also.

I have done it with the R3. I need to set a fairly long flash interval with my 430EXii so that it doesn't miss any flashes after 40 exposures!
Thank you.

The Canon R6 II has focus bracketing. https://cam.start.canon/en/C012/manual/html/UG-04_Shooting-1_0340.html is the relevant info in the manual. As far as using a flash in this process, it should work. There aren't any notes in the manual about it not working with flash. Also I don't know if the frame rate when shooting auto focus bracketing is faster than your flash recycle time and if the camera will wait on the flash to be ready or not before taking the next shot. (more on this below)

I shoot handheld macro with my EOS R, which does not have a focus bracketing feature. I have my lens set to manual focus and simply move the camera back and forth while shooting. When shooting at 1:1, or close to 1:1, the depth of field of focus is very narrow and the chances of me taking two consecutive shots with the same part of the image in perfect focus is very slim. So my instability in holding the camera is a natural focus bracketing of sorts.

Now the flash...it needs to recycle quickly, or you need to shoot at a low frame rate. I normally shoot with my flash in manual mode and at either 1/8th power or 1/16th power. Flash recycle time (the time needed for the flash to be ready to fire again) is usually relatively short at these settings. Of course, recycle time is also dependent on the flash model, and what type of battery/batteries are powering the camera. If you have an AA powered flash, then NIMH batteries are the best, with the GP Recyko Pro Photoflash batteries are the best in all that I have tested with my Godox flash. https://international.gpbatteries.com/products/recyko-pro-battery-2000-aa-photoflash-4 Maybe your flash has a built-in lithium battery and is very fast to recycle.

I take a few test shots in the beginning to get my flash exposure figured out, concerning iso etc. I usually shoot in the area of f11-f14 and iso 100 if possible, and a shutter speed of 1/200 which is the fastest the R can do without having to do high speed synce. But, I will bump up the iso if needed...hence the test shots.

I don't know who you watch on YouTube, but Micael Widel is my favorite in macro photography. He has several good videos on handheld macro photography, one of which is here: The link will start the video at what I think is the most relevant time for the topic of this post, but the entire video has good information. https://youtu.be/sCpYs0vqmE4?si=OP7wLqBbGpNB3APF&t=442

Last edited:
The Canon R6 II has focus bracketing. https://cam.start.canon/en/C012/manual/html/UG-04_Shooting-1_0340.html is the relevant info in the manual. As far as using a flash in this process, it should work. There aren't any notes in the manual about it not working with flash.
Focus bracketing (the in-camera feature) uses electronic shutter and the R6ii does not allow flash with ES. If you click the little drop-down "Caution" on the page you linked to, you will see:
  • Flash photography is not available.
Of course, as you described, one can always use a different method with mechanical shutter and flash to generate the stack. You just can't use the in-camera bracketing.

The Canon R6 II has focus bracketing. https://cam.start.canon/en/C012/manual/html/UG-04_Shooting-1_0340.html is the relevant info in the manual. As far as using a flash in this process, it should work. There aren't any notes in the manual about it not working with flash. Also I don't know if the frame rate when shooting auto focus bracketing is faster than your flash recycle time and if the camera will wait on the flash to be ready or not before taking the next shot. (more on this below)

I shoot handheld macro with my EOS R, which does not have a focus bracketing feature. I have my lens set to manual focus and simply move the camera back and forth while shooting. When shooting at 1:1, or close to 1:1, the depth of field of focus is very narrow and the chances of me taking two consecutive shots with the same part of the image in perfect focus is very slim. So my instability in holding the camera is a natural focus bracketing of sorts.

Now the flash...it needs to recycle quickly, or you need to shoot at a low frame rate. I normally shoot with my flash in manual mode and at either 1/8th power or 1/16th power. Flash recycle time (the time needed for the flash to be ready to fire again) is usually relatively short at these settings. Of course, recycle time is also dependent on the flash model, and what type of battery/batteries are powering the camera. If you have an AA powered flash, then NIMH batteries are the best, with the GP Recyko Pro Photoflash batteries are the best in all that I have tested with my Godox flash. https://international.gpbatteries.com/products/recyko-pro-battery-2000-aa-photoflash-4 Maybe your flash has a built-in lithium battery and is very fast to recycle.

I take a few test shots in the beginning to get my flash exposure figured out, concerning iso etc. I usually shoot in the area of f11-f14 and iso 100 if possible, and a shutter speed of 1/200 which is the fastest the R can do without having to do high speed synce. But, I will bump up the iso if needed...hence the test shots.

I don't know who you watch on YouTube, but Micael Widel is my favorite in macro photography. He has several good videos on handheld macro photography, one of which is here: The link will start the video at what I think is the most relevant time for the topic of this post, but the entire video has good information. https://youtu.be/sCpYs0vqmE4?si=OP7wLqBbGpNB3APF&t=442
Thank you Bryan. I've been relatively successful at getting the bracketing to work. I was just hoping to be able to use a flash with it. Unfortunately, as Anton pointed out, the R6 ii does not allow that ability.

The gentleman that I have been following regarding macro photography is indeed Michael Widel. He is the one who made me want to try using a flash. The flash that I have is a Godox V350 which has lithium batteries. I've been using it at 1/16th power successfully. I'm very impressed with the recycle rate. Since the camera won't automatically bracket, I'm going to try to do it manually as Michael often demonstrates. That will take some practice. I will try the exposure settings you suggested.

Thank you and Anton both for your thoughtful responses.

Focus bracketing (the in-camera feature) uses electronic shutter and the R6ii does not allow flash with ES. If you click the little drop-down "Caution" on the page you linked to, you will see:
  • Flash photography is not available.
Of course, as you described, one can always use a different method with mechanical shutter and flash to generate the stack. You just can't use the in-camera bracketing.
Thanks for the clarification and correction.

When I click on either the "Caution" or the "Note" nothing happens. So I didn't get that information. Now I have to investigate why the drop downs don't work for me.

aha....Ublock origin Chrome plugin was blocking these drop downs from functioning.

Thank you Bryan. I've been relatively successful at getting the bracketing to work. I was just hoping to be able to use a flash with it. Unfortunately, as Anton pointed out, the R6 ii does not allow that ability.

The gentleman that I have been following regarding macro photography is indeed Michael Widel. He is the one who made me want to try using a flash. The flash that I have is a Godox V350 which has lithium batteries. I've been using it at 1/16th power successfully. I'm very impressed with the recycle rate. Since the camera won't automatically bracket, I'm going to try to do it manually as Michael often demonstrates. That will take some practice. I will try the exposure settings you suggested.

Thank you and Anton both for your thoughtful responses.
I have been "practicing" shooting like Micael does for over a year now and it is definitely hit and miss. Like he says there is a lot of luck involved, but it is fun. I am happy even if I spend an hour or three shooting insects and stuff and don't end up with anything worth saving. I enjoyed the time outside in nature, and if I do get a keeper image that is just icing on the cake.

I have a Godox TT685II, which uses 4AA batteries so it isn't as speedy on the recycle as yours. I think I will sell it soon and by the Godox V860iii simply for the lithium battery and faster recycle time. if I didn't already have a macro diffusor made for a full size Godox flash, I would probably be satisfied with a V350 as I definitely don't need the power of the V860.

But first, I am going to try a canon external battery pack which should speed up my recycle times into the area of the V860iii....we will see. I bought a used one for about 25€ on Ebay a couple of days ago.

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back