Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Jake Kurdsjuk
City/State
Washington, NJ
I'm an early adopter of the R7, replacing my R5 for a lot of my wildlife work. When it works I love the extra reach. But I'm finally getting frustrated with waiting on a firmware update that will fix the focusing.

Yesterday I was shooting a Red Shouldered Hawk in a tree. It was in the shadows, but the camera was highlighting the bird's eye with no problem. But when I pressed the button to focus it would focus on the branches around it or the background 4 out 5 times - while the eye was still highlighted!!

I've been living with this and the minor focus variations on moving objects (two shots sharp, next one not, next one sharp, next two not) for 4 months now waiting on a firmware fix and it's getting frustrating.

Not looking for answers, but if you're experiencing the same I'd appreciate you letting me know so I can hound my pro rep friend and let him know I'm not crazy. LOL

Sounds like a pretty common problem. A lot of people have complained about that here, and I've had similar results with the R6. Not sure about the exact numbers, but maintaining focus on what's being detected is really a hit or miss. Luckily (?) I use manual focus for most of what I'm shooting, but birds can be frustrating...

Sono uno dei primi ad adottare l'R7, sostituendo il mio R5 per gran parte del mio lavoro sulla fauna selvatica. Quando funziona, adoro la portata extra. Ma alla fine mi sento frustrato dall'attesa di un aggiornamento del firmware che risolverà la messa a fuoco.

Ieri stavo fotografando un falco dalle spalle rosse su un albero. Era nell'ombra, ma la telecamera stava evidenziando l'occhio dell'uccello senza problemi. Ma quando ho premuto il pulsante per mettere a fuoco, si sarebbe concentrato sui rami intorno o sullo sfondo 4 volte su 5 - mentre l'occhio era ancora evidenziato!

Ho vissuto con questo e le piccole variazioni di messa a fuoco sugli oggetti in movimento (due scatti nitidi, il prossimo no, il prossimo nitido, i prossimi due no) da 4 mesi in attesa di una correzione del firmware e sta diventando frustrante.

Non sto cercando risposte, ma se stai vivendo lo stesso ti sarei grato se me lo facessi sapere così posso perseguitare il mio amico rappresentante professionista e fargli sapere che non sono pazzo. LOL
vero è un incubo io è da luglio che combatto per trovare un giusto assetto ma niente,a volo poi ci devo rinunciare,non sò come devo fare a continuare ad usare una cosa che non mi serve

I’ve shot Motorsports professionally for 23 years now. I’m afraid the in and out of focus issues are commonplace when shooting moving objects using AF, no matter the manufacture, camera body and or lens. Similar numbers to what you’ve described.
sorry I have no response for the focus point not matching what the camera is suggesting, outside of the number of focus points you’ve selected possibly. I haven’t used the eye focus except on people, and only when the subject is large in the frame.

I’ve shot Motorsports professionally for 23 years now. I’m afraid the in and out of focus issues are commonplace when shooting moving objects using AF, no matter the manufacture, camera body and or lens. Similar numbers to what you’ve described.
sorry I have no response for the focus point not matching what the camera is suggesting, outside of the number of focus points you’ve selected possibly. I haven’t used the eye focus except on people, and only when the subject is large in the frame.
Not just moving objects, thought. Stationary birds will go soft every 3 or 4 images unless light it perfect. It may have the R3 system, but it's not the R3 in terms of performance. Focus stickiness seems to be an issue the more people I speak with. Not so with the R5, which is now back to being my day-to-day go to body. I'll deal with the fewer MPs

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back