Canon R7 GPS for R7?

woolno

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David F Woolnough
Not wanting to use a phone for GPS positions, has anyone tried the Canon GPS on an R7? Any other manufacturers units considered?

Not wanting to use a phone for GPS positions, has anyone tried the Canon GPS on an R7? Any other manufacturers units considered?
I can't blame you for not wanting to use your phone. I've read that Canon Camera Connect can seriously drain your phone battery when being used for geotagging.

The R7 Advanced User's Guide specifically mentions using the Canon GP-E2. I don't know of any 3rd party manufacturers making an equivalent. Not to say they're not out there; I just don't know of them.

The GPS connection to the phone also relies on the app on the phone actually running and responding. I've had numerous times where I turn on the camera, see the GPS indicator blinking, open my phone, start the app, notice that the GPS indicator goes steady white to signal that it has a GPS connection, and then when I later come back home, only about 15-20 images are geotagged and the rest are not.

I simply do not trust this.

I am looking to buy the GP-E2, but in the meantime I've resorted to just using a plugin in Lightroom to add geotagging to photos in post, and I have an old Garmin GPS unit that creates a tracklog automatically if I just turn it on, and I can download and feed that log to that plugin to get the correct coordinates.

A bit of a hassle, so I'm going to keep an eye out for the GP-E2.

I also use the Canon GP-E2 but I have to wonder why GPS is just not included in all their cameras at this point. And I agree with others that the phone app is just not reliable especially when in an area with poor coverage.

I do like being able to map shots so that a year or so later if I go back I can find an area again. Especially useful during wildflower season to record the best spots.

I just ordered a GP-E2 from a seller on eBay, seems to be the only place I can find one as both Canon Europe and all Norwegian stores lists them as "out of stock". It was used, so even with shipping and handling it came in at about 65% of the full new price here in Norway so it was fine. Looking forward to using it, I like geotagging my photos and I have found a workflow with Jeffrey Friedl's plugin for Lightroom, but I'd rather do it in-camera out of the box.

Since I rarely use the flash when out and about, it's fine if I have to fall back to that plugin workflow in those instances.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back