Canon R5 GPS Module for R5

Smorton

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Steven Bolton
Greetings,

Does anyone have experience with a Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on the Canon R5. Also, do you know where I can purchase one? They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Thanks.

SM

I don't have any experience with the GP-E2, but I have found that the bluetooth connection to my iPhone and the Canon CameraConnect software provides a good GPS input to the camera. Other than initial setup, all you have to do to make it work is to ensure that the Canon CameraConnect app is running on your phone and then GPS data is applied to every photo's EXIF data automatically.

Thanks.

I have not had much luck with using an iphone. It is one more thing for me to worry about at my age.

Thank you though.

SM

I tried using my iPhone as a geotagging device, but while it does the job, I just prefer having the GPS module on the camera itself. It’s easier to remember to have it turned on when I pull the R5 out of my bag. I can be forgetful and have in the past forgotten to start the app on my iPhone. The GP-E2 works great and I was able to get it from Bic Camera here in Japan so may not be much help for you. :confused:

Greetings,

Does anyone have experience with a Canon GPS Receiver GP-E2 on the Canon R5. Also, do you know where I can purchase one? They seem to be out of stock everywhere.

Thanks.

SM
Hi,
I have been using the GP-E2 on a regular basis with my R5. I bought mine as a second-hand device - there are apparently people who switch from a non-geotagging camera to a camera with built-in GPS :-(
Check-out ebay or similar platforms. I use rechargeable 1.5 Volt batteries with it - but make sure the battery really delivers 1.5 V - and change batteries after a full shooting day. Hope this helps.

I used Canon's camera connect app on my Google Pixel Pro 7 whilst we were on holiday in Thailand recently and it worked very well (just the odd disconnect) I also had a Solmeta GPS device that broke the first time I used it.

I bought a second-hand GP-E2 from MPB several years ago and used it successfully on my 5D Mk III. Due to an ongoing medical condition, I haven't been able to try the GP-E2 on the R5 "in the field", as it were, but I have tried it in the garden, and it appears to work just as well as on the 5D. Even if you can't get hold of one right now, keep trying; it's worth the wait.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back