Great Lightroom trick if you've had to crop

lostnomore

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
City/State
Alberta
About the only thing I don't like about the R6 is having only 20MP when you need to crop. I recently took photos of my daughter and a friend surfing, but armed with only my RF 24-70mm f/2.8 they appeared very small in each frame and so I had no choice but to make a pretty tight crop if I hoped to see any facial details. However, after I did this, I learned in Photoshop that if you right-click a cropped image (two-finger touch on a Mac trackpad) and select Enhance and then check Super Resolution, you will get rid of some of the pixelation resulting from a tight crop. LR did a pretty great job of interpolating and then smoothing out the pixelation, in other words. Detail was restored to a very large degree! I guess some people refer to this as "upsizing." Anyhow, it worked wonderfully for the surfing photos I took, so I thought I'd share this discovery.

Last edited:
About the only thing I don't like about the R6 is having only 20MP when you need to crop. I recently took photos of my daughter and a friend surfing, but armed with only my RF 24-70mm f/2.8, they appeared very small in each frame and so I had no choice but to make a pretty tight crop if I hoped to see any facial details. However, after I did this, I learned in Photoshop that if you right-click a cropped image (two-finger touch on a Mac trackpad) and select Enhance and then check Super Resolution, you will get rid of some of the pixelation resulting from a tight crop. LR did a pretty great job of interpolating and then smoothing out the pixelation, in other words. Detail was restored to a very large degree! I guess some people refer to this as "upsizing." Anyhow, it worked wonderfully for the surfing photos I took, so I thought I'd share this discovery.
Thanks for the share! Something I need to try down the road.

Gigapixel and PhotoAI do a better job than PS for upsizing.

Gigapixel and PhotoAI do a better job than PS for upsizing.
They really do, and are worth the purchase price. Both integrate with LR so if that's all you use you don't have to leave from there, just choose edit in, and it will be part of the lr catalog when you are done.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back