Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Barry Kwiatkowski
City/State
Eckville
First, thanks for allowing me to join this group. From what I've seen I'm going to learn a lot from everyone here. As a new retiree, my wife encouraged me to get back into photography (I think she just wanted to get me out of the house - go figure). Gone are the old days of film photography (Pentax A3000 and Pentax Program Plus), hello to my Canon EOS R5 and the various RF lenses. So much to learn and enjoying every minute of this learning process, but there's always more. This is where I hope to learn by being a part of this group. There's a lot of talented people here. I just need to find them. It will take time sorting through everything here. Finally, when it's -25C outside (it gets cold in Canada in the winter time) I thought I would try my hand at minimalism photography. A couple of shots I took yesterday (no editing - that's a whole other learning process). The first shot was taken with my RF 24-105mm and the second shot with my RF 100mm Macro.Again, thanks for letting me join. I just hope I can live up to everyones standards.
Coffee Cup Single.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 39.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 2 sec
  • ISO 100

Red 2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/2.8
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 100

Welcome and thank you for joining up here Barry. I wish my wife wanted me out of the house more, she prefers to keep me in it to look after the kids! Beautiful images. You’ve definitely nailed minimalists theme here. What’s the second image of?

Welcome and thank you for joining up here Barry. I wish my wife wanted me out of the house more, she prefers to keep me in it to look after the kids! Beautiful images. You’ve definitely nailed minimalists theme here. What’s the second image of?
Thanks Tim. Hesitant about taking my expensive gear outside when it's -20C (-30C with the windchill) so trying something new indoors. Itching to get outside though. The second photo is closeup of a metal pasta strainer using a red gel with the flash. Might try some water drop photography next. I hear that can be a bit of a challenge. Thanks again and have a great day!

Thanks and the joys of being newly retired... Kids all grown up!

Hey Barry, Welcome. Very nice minimalist photos. Where in our vast country are you located? I’m in Calgary and hoping winter stays away till May and then it can warm up!

Hey Barry, Welcome. Very nice minimalist photos. Where in our vast country are you located? I’m in Calgary and hoping winter stays away till May and then it can warm up!
Thanks Jack. I'm just located West of Red Deer in a small rural town (Eckville, AB). I wish we were still in Calgary (took a job in Red Deer 25-years ago). Calgary is a beautiful city for photography and "chinooks". Winter??? You want winter to stay away and I want winter to go away. I've already had the snowblower out 3-times this winter and know there's more snow to come. Looking forward to spring, summer and fall again so I can get out there and explore. I would love to get out to Banff, Jasper, Waterton and Drumheller for some winter landscape photography, but travel time and road conditions are holding me back (for now) and my winter camping days are long gone (by about 30-years). Hence, my attempt at minimalism. Again, thanks!

Sounds like you have a solid plan for enjoying your retirement! We spend summers out at Gleniffer Lake and love the small towns all around there (and photo ops). Take care, keep shooting and posting.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back