Hello from Holland

Gau

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Fulco den Hollander
Hi,

I joined already but officially I am not yet a RF shooter. But I already want to learn and read about experiences from others.

Starting with Canon in .... (?) with the EOS 620 and 650, several other models, then digital with a 20, 5Dm2, 5Dm4. The mark 4 I sold already and now am looking at a R3 or R5. Since there was the rumor of a R5m2 I am sitting on my hands and checking sites often. Not sure if the R3's eye focussing would work with me.
Recently most of my photography I do while I am birding. In general my interest is nature, landscapes. Besides that, I love to photograph underwater. Some health issues keep me from doing that. But with that I use a simple camera, too expensive to use a big camera. But it is always nice to have something to dream about.

The R5 looks a better option for bird photography. I have a few months until springtime. So then I plan to make my decision

Welcome to the board. There are many bird shooters here, so don't hesitate to ask - knowledge and advice are available.

Welcome Gau and thanks for joining up here. The R5 is a lovely camera for birding, it's just a pity the 100-500 is so expensive! If you have the possibility to hire one locally to try out before buying I'd definitely recommend doing that. There could also be news on the R5 Mark II by the time spring comes around.

Thanks all. I currently have an EF100-400 ii. For birding here I actually think that reach is not enough. With an 1.4x I think the results are much less (on the 5D4 before). I think the photos lost a lot of detail. I am curious about the RF600/800 F11's but unfortunately they are not available here for rental. Especially the price and weight do appeal to me. Carrying a scope, binoculars, camera ...

Some photos posted on this forum made with the RF600/800 do look good to me. However on other sites I saw photos that I am too thrilled about. Then usually they don't look as sharp. But hard to compare, because perhaps the lighting conditions were very different.
I am seeing questionmarks floating around in my brain with an label to it, would an EF400 DO2 give better results with extenders.
Replacing the EF100-400 for the RF100-500 does not bring me a lot of extra reach. I do agree that it is very expensive, especially when you compare it to the lens of some TV manufacturer. So should I think of a RF100-500 with an extender?
Luckily those are available for rental.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back