teebee67

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tony Benson
Hi and thanks for allowing me to join this group. I was into photography (mainly motorcycle racing) but hadn't done anything for over 40 years. Last year I decided to have a go at digital photography and bought a used Canon with several lenses. I quickly followed this with an new EOS 5D Mark 4 and bought the EF 100-400 and a Sigma 150-600. I photograph mainly wildlife and mainly birds. This year I upgraded to mirrorless with an EOS R5 and an RF 100-500 lens. I also bought the adaptor so I could use my Sigma (I sold the 100-400). I was not happy with the eye tracking and general focusing on my R5 and I am still in discussions with Canon re the problems. I have now bought an R7 and the focus and eye tracking are what I expected from the R5 (I think proving the R5 is faulty which I will take up with Canon). I am still learning the best set ups for the R7 and find this group to be very helpful.

Welcome Tony and thanks for joining up here! I've always been pretty impressed by the Bird Eye AF and tracking of my R5. It will struggle with some birds if the eye isn't all that clear, like goldfinches where sometimes it prefers to focus on the yellow streak instead, probably because of the dark eyes and dark red surrounding them. Are you running the latest firmware on your R5 (version 1.6.0)? There's also a firmware update for the RF 100-500 (version 1.1.0).

Hi Tony , welcome

Welcome Tony and thanks for joining up here! I've always been pretty impressed by the Bird Eye AF and tracking of my R5. It will struggle with some birds if the eye isn't all that clear, like goldfinches where sometimes it prefers to focus on the yellow streak instead, probably because of the dark eyes and dark red surrounding them. Are you running the latest firmware on your R5 (version 1.6.0)? There's also a firmware update for the RF 100-500 (version 1.1.0).
Thanks for the reply. Yes I have the latest firmware on both cameras. I am sure the R5 is faulty as it has other focus problems. I have sent photos to Canon and will be sending them some R7 photos when I have suitable ones. I am sure they will sort it eventually though my camera is a grey import.

Hi and thanks for allowing me to join this group. I was into photography (mainly motorcycle racing) but hadn't done anything for over 40 years. Last year I decided to have a go at digital photography and bought a used Canon with several lenses. I quickly followed this with an new EOS 5D Mark 4 and bought the EF 100-400 and a Sigma 150-600. I photograph mainly wildlife and mainly birds. This year I upgraded to mirrorless with an EOS R5 and an RF 100-500 lens. I also bought the adaptor so I could use my Sigma (I sold the 100-400). I was not happy with the eye tracking and general focusing on my R5 and I am still in discussions with Canon re the problems. I have now bought an R7 and the focus and eye tracking are what I expected from the R5 (I think proving the R5 is faulty which I will take up with Canon). I am still learning the best set ups for the R7 and find this group to be very helpful.
Hi Tony, I am a new member of the forum and like you have spent most of my life involved in motorcycle racing and spectating.
I raced in the Auto66 club at places like Elvington, Croft, DarleyMoor, Oulton Park, Cadwell. Park etc until I gave up like most riders due to cost and injury (not serious)
I halve always loved photography and have come back after years away, although always had a fixed lens Fuji for shooting on the go.
I have just got my R7 + 18-150 lens and will be looking for either an RF or maybe EF long zoom.
Thought I would just introduce myself to a fellow bike race fan and snapper.

Always good to talk racing and photography. I raced myself for well over 30 years mainly local to me (Aintree, 3 Sisters, Oulton Park, etc). I currently have theR7 and R5 plus a couple of Canon DSLRs. I mainly use the R7, I have the RF 100 to 500mm which is a great lens and I sometimes combine it with a 1.4 extender. You won't regret buying the R7.

Tony
Great to hear back from someone who is switched onto R series cameras and racing and can offer me some advice.
I also raced Aintree quite often from 72-82 and enjoyed thrashing my Yamaha 125 and TZ350 around.
Will be hoping to get out to some meetings with my camera and EF 70-200 but would really like to trade up and buy a long RF zoom zoo with a bit more reach as the 200 is often not quite enough.

Don't forget your 200 will be equivalent to 320 with the R7s 1.6 crop factor. Add a 1.4 extender and you will have a 448. Or add a 2x extender to give you 640. Though, of course, all this applies to the 100 to 500 too.

Great advice but not sure about extenders as I think you lose at least 1 or 2 stops don’t you ? depending on whether it’s 1.4X or 2X
am I correct.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back