Canon R5 R5 with RF 100-500 Focus Difficulties

Juee

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Hi If I zoom The lens at 500 and try focus it doesn't happen. I need to zoom out till 200 to achieve focus and then zoom in. what could be the issue?

Could be a number of things but we need more information. What focus mode are you using? Are you in One Shot or Servo AF? What are you trying to focus on? How far away is it? If you are close, is the switch on the side of the lens set to limit focus distance in any way? When you're at 500mm is it trying to focus but not finding it or not focusing at all?

Jake brings up good points.
One big thing that changes when you zoom in to 500mm, is that your minimum focus distance increases, so if you're trying to focus on an object that's too close, you might be able to achieve focus at 200mm, but not 500mm.

If this problem exists when you're trying to focus on infinity, a distant object, then it's likely that your lens is faulty.

Jake brings up good points.
One big thing that changes when you zoom in to 500mm, is that your minimum focus distance increases, so if you're trying to focus on an object that's too close, you might be able to achieve focus at 200mm, but not 500mm.

If this problem exists when you're trying to focus on infinity, a distant object, then it's likely that your lens is faulty.
Although this does not directly address your question it is worth remembering. On the odd occasion when I thought the lens was not auto focussing and freezing I had accidently moved the AF point by touching the back screen with my nose or a finger. The lens was acuually focussing but way to the side if my subject where I was not looking.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back