dmanthree

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
David Manzi
Following some good advice I got here, I reshot the hi-res mode and compared it to the original and a Topaz AI up-res'd image. The winner, to me, is the hi-res version. Compare the detail on the wall from both shots. I used the 24-105 RF L lens at f8, a sturdy tripod, and a bluetooth trigger.

Appreciate the advice on keeping the camera steady. It works, but it does appear that any camera or subject movement is a no-go for this mode.

Attachments

• Full_Scene.jpg
    Full_Scene.jpg
    710.3 KB · Views: 122
  • hi-res_crop.jpg
    hi-res_crop.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 148
  • Std_Res_Crop.jpg
    Std_Res_Crop.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Topaz-100%_Crop.jpg
    Topaz-100%_Crop.jpg
    190.1 KB · Views: 130
Agree that hi-res is sharper (saw that myself) and agree about motion. Camera must be steady. Tripod is a must. Those that do product photography might find a use for this hi-res feature.

Thought I'd go for it. The firmware installation went well and I set up in our laundry room with sunlight through a window on a basic resolution target. The difference is dramatic indeed. Now to find a use for the new tool.
I used my trusty old EF 100 f/2.8 Macro lens. Electronic shutter and wireless remote seemed to have prevented camera shake.
The IBIS HR file is, of course, very large so it's reduced to the same size as the normal files. This is my first posting and is therefore an experiment. Hope it works.

Attachments

• LORD2476HRIBISReduced.jpg
    LORD2476HRIBISReduced.jpg
    505.7 KB · Views: 120
  • LORD2477Normal.jpg
    LORD2477Normal.jpg
    472.9 KB · Views: 114
  • LORD2477-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
    LORD2477-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen.jpg
    479.8 KB · Views: 117
  • LORD2476HRIBIS2284PX.jpg
    LORD2476HRIBIS2284PX.jpg
    873.8 KB · Views: 111
  • LORD2477Normal800PX.jpg
    LORD2477Normal800PX.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 113
  • LORD2477-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen801PX.jpg
    LORD2477-topaz-enhance-denoiseraw-sharpen801PX.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 107
Yes, "motion-free" is absolutely the key. It should make for some nice banknote lens testing shots at the very least.
I'm sure someone can and will come up with a suitable use for this function. I'm also sure it will evolve into something more powerful as time and technology advance. Meanwhile, perhaps an ultra-high resolution sensor will come along.

I would think one needs the best of your L lenses as well. I have the EF105f2.8L IS USM macro which seems to be a candidate along with my 50,85 and 135 Sigma Art lenses. Perhaps the RF50f1.2L is a good choice too. I will have to shoot some charts of my own. I have several of the same test charts on a magnetic blackboard to allow me to test as different shooting distancess. Charts like those that you used.

I had actually not looked closely at the charts I had. They are lithographed and therefore made up of halftone dots. I may looked around and see if there is a reasonably priced chart available without the dots. To be fair, it wasn't a big deal for such a casual test.
Product shots would certainly be a good application because the lighting would be controlled. We'll soon see what all those creative people out there come up with I'm sure.

My charts are 8.5x11 inches each. I have several of them on a magnetic "white-board" on wheels for ease in storing it then moving it prior to and after usage. My charts have a 2014 DGK Color Tools copyright on them. I assume mine also have some type of halftone screening to generate the grayscale. However, since I have 5 of these charts on the diagonal the dots are small at the average shooting distance to span all five of the charts. I bought my charts on Ebay.
20230412_130359.jpg
  • SM-G998U
20230412_130634.jpg
  • SM-G998U

If the the lithography is 300 dpi then my board would have roughly 100 megapixels of detail by my estimate. The best possible resolution of the IBIS Hi Res is 400 megapixels but likely the lens sharpness would be less capable that the ibis camera mode and maybe the resolution of the L grade lenses is the weaker link for impairing the image resolution than the IBIS readout mode. .

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back