Dave Williams

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Dave Williams
I decided 2022 would be my year of travel to make up for the lockdown years that preceded and consequently in my pursuit of wildlife photography I have already visited Cuba,Cyprus, Spain and Bulgaria so far this year. The latter two were largely 'pro hide(blind)' set ups with extended periods of sitting around waiting for the action. As the weather warmed up so did the camera...my R5.
To me, the biggest weakness of the R5 is the wake up time. From hitting the shutter button to being in a position that the camera can autofocus takes an age and there is every chance you will miss the action in the process. Consequently keeping the camera awake is important.
Much has been said about battery life but I have found it not to be of any real concern. I maximise the life of each one I own by having the LCD closed and using the EVF for virtually everything in addition to turning off some power consuming features within the menu systems. I have rarely needed a third battery during a days shooting using electronic shutter which produces far too many images on occasion but continues at 20fps right to the end of the battery before it is dead.
To reduce weight when I travel I only took my heavy Gitzo tripod and Wimberley head on one trip, and likewise my EF 500f4 and didn't use it much when I did. The RF 100-500 is my go to lens now and you don't need a tripod for that by and large. The only exception is when stealth is important and any movement of suddenly sticking a lens through an opening might cause your subject to take flight! The longer length of the 500mm f4 was also needed to protrude slightly beyond the opening of the floating 'Hydro Hide' I used in Spain and the Wimberley head alone was used to mount the camera lens combination.
So, back to the main issue. The camera overheating which it did with alarming regularity especially as the weather got warmer during my last two trips. It tended to happen later on during the day, during enclosed hide photography and hand holding the R5/lens combination. It's a frustration having to stop shooting, remove the battery and wait for a while in the hope the camera cools down.
I'm wondering if shutting the LCD screen exacerbates the heating as well as holding the camera for much of the time. That combined with keeping the R5 almost constantly awake and taking shots at 20fps doesn't help although I have a feeling that using CRAW rather than full RAW reduces the heat from image transfer to the camera card.
My next trip is to a likely chilly Scottish island for a week, all outdoors and no hides. it will be interesting to see how I get on.
After that I am off to Africa for a few weeks and that is likely to me much warmer despite it being winter there.
I really don't want to miss the shots but have this dilemma about overheating. I really need a back up camera which I have always had in the past. I regret selling both my 1DX2 and 5D1V within a short space of time as I decided I can't happily switch from one format to another.
I was hoping the R7 might be the answer but looking at the layout of the camera it's not as intuitive once you are used to the three dials on the R5 which control the three main features I use in M mode.
The R3 is both expensive and lacking in MP's. The R6 I worry about resolution too. Another R5 just seems a ridiculous expense to be a stand by camera when the first one gets hot!
Decisions, decisions!
In the meantime any suggestions to avoid heating are ironically warmly welcomed!!

In terms of boot up time from off: I have found it is CFe card dependent. Both my R5s boot up slower with the Angelbird 512GB card than with my other cards. (Prograde 128GB)
With regard to overheating, neither of my R5s has locked up since upgrading to FW 1.5.2.Are you talking all stills, or are you shooting video as well?

I'm using a Sony Tough 128GB CFexpress card which is pretty fast. I have the latest 1.5.2 firmware and don't shoot video. It was more a case of the overheating red warning light coming on than the camera locking up which it has done occasionally but not very often, possibly not since the firmware update.

I'm using a Sony Tough 128GB CFexpress card which is pretty fast. I have the latest 1.5.2 firmware and don't shoot video. It was more a case of the overheating red warning light coming on than the camera locking up which it has done occasionally but not very often, possibly not since the firmware update.
You need to reset the C3 custom setting in the video menu to a lower rate. The default for video from still is Video C3 and if set too high you will get the warning even though you are only shooting stills. It's just telling you that if you wanted to shoot video you could not. Or, you can just ignore the warning and keep shooting stills. This is a known issue.

You need to reset the C3 custom setting in the video menu to a lower rate. The default for video from still is Video C3 and if set too high you will get the warning even though you are only shooting stills. It's just telling you that if you wanted to shoot video you could not. Or, you can just ignore the warning and keep s
You need to reset the C3 custom setting in the video menu to a lower rate. The default for video from still is Video C3 and if set too high you will get the warning even though you are only shooting stills. It's just telling you that if you wanted to shoot video you could not. Or, you can just ignore the warning and keep shooting stills. This is a known issue.
Further. The boot up speed has nothing to do with the speed of the card. It's dependent on the firmware the card uses. My r5s bootup in less than 1 second with the prograde card.

You need to reset the C3 custom setting in the video menu to a lower rate. The default for video from still is Video C3 and if set too high you will get the warning even though you are only shooting stills. It's just telling you that if you wanted to shoot video you could not. Or, you can just ignore the warning and keep s

Further. The boot up speed has nothing to do with the speed of the card. It's dependent on the firmware the card uses. My r5s bootup in less than 1 second with the prograde card.
Interesting stuff, thanks. I have just checked and my video is set at 1929x1080 25.00fps so it's as low as it will go but would record in ALL-I for 2 minutes 59 seconds. If I change it to IPB light it would record for 22 mins 29 seconds. Are you suggesting that would prevent the heating warning light coming on? In fact is it warning that the camera will overheat but only in video? If it's actually warning the camera is too hot is there a risk of damaging it?
All the video terms are alien to me!
I have just checked the camera for start up and realised it was now set up with the video mode in C3 so have turned it back to how it was, pure M with no video. If that was the case my first question is surely answered that it's not a warning if I switch to video but that the camera is actually too hot.

So, back to start up from sleep and it probably is around a second before the AF kicks in..seems like an age compared to my DSLRs and in fact in electronic mode you have missed the first 20 frames of action! I guess it depends on what you are trying to capture I suppose.

In terms of boot up time from off: I have found it is CFe card dependent. Both my R5s boot up slower with the Angelbird 512GB card than with my other cards. (Prograde 128GB)
With regard to overheating, neither of my R5s has locked up since upgrading to FW 1.5.2.Are you talking all stills, or are you shooting video as well?
Angelbird cards need to have their firmware updated - which requires the Angelbird card reader. Once you have the updated firmware on the cards themselves, you will find the boot times very fast.

So, back to start up from sleep and it probably is around a second before the AF kicks in..seems like an age compared to my DSLRs and in fact in electronic mode you have missed the first 20 frames of action! I guess it depends on what you are trying to capture I suppose.
It certainly sounds like you have lots of adventures planned this year Dave! I normally have my power off disabled and the display/viewfinders set to go off after 10 minutes. It probably drains the battery a little more but I'd rather carry an extra battery than wait for the camera to wake up. My R5 froze just this morning whilst shooting for around 20 minutes, and it's not even that warm today! I'm using the latest firmware as well. There are definitely still some glitches. As for a second cam that's a difficult one. The R7 would be a good option if you could get used to the control differences, otherwise two R5's would make switching seamless if the budget allows.

Angelbird cards need to have their firmware updated - which requires the Angelbird card reader. Once you have the updated firmware on the cards themselves, you will find the boot times very fast.
Yeah, I already have two card readers. I have reached out to AB about sending the card in for an update with no results.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back