Chris Summers

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Chris Summers
My wife handles all of our retirement financial stuff, I never was a very good bean counter. So she told me that we got our IRA distributions this morning and did I want to buy something with mine. I don't have a big retirement account but I got around $900, she asked that I stay on budget! That sort of limited my purchase power, I figured a lens would be good and there are a few that are under $900.

After reading different reviews and opinions I decided to get the RF 800mm f/11. I found a used one at MPB in New York, Like New with both lens caps, original packaging and instruction book for $689. I have dealt with them before, selling and buying used gear and I generally find them to be fairly priced and accurate on descriptions.

I'm old school about filters and prefer to have one on the front element, I buy the best quality I can afford. When I'm out in the field I'm good about putting on a rear cap as I toss a lens into the bag between changes but usually don't have time to dig for the right sized front cap. I like the Chairo brand, B&H sells them. They are made with Schodt glass, got a 95mm UV for $50.

I ordered 2 other things, the Canon LZ1435 case and a JCC lens hood. The case is on the pricey side but my problem with some of the aftermarket ones is they are so big and bulky, the Canon one affords good protection for when I'm traveling. And the JCC lens hood is a 1/3 the price of the Canon one so I saved a few bucks there. Case was $79 and the hood was $18.

So with sales tax I spent about $840. Only other thing I might buy later on is the Kirk L bracket for the lens to make it easier to switch from horizontal to vertical. It costs $80 so I'll just have to catch my wife in a generous mood!

I know there are pros and cons to the 800mm as it is a fixed f/11 but I already own the Tamron 150-600mm and this lens would be good down at the bird refuge near Galveston with my new R7 as it will push it to a 1280mm so I decided to give it a try.

As a side not I used to own the Sigma 800mm f5.6. Loved the lens as it was very sharp and bright but man it was big and heavy to lug around. It came with a metal case for travel, I took it a few times to South Africa and it was great for wildlife but I go tired of the size.

Nice buy, Chris. I picked up the 800mm during COVID lockdown and have enjoyed it. I don't use it often but when I do, I'm happy I did.

Sounds like a good deal Chris!

That's a great deal, Chris! I'm sure you will enjoy it. Look forward to seeing images from it.

My wife handles all of our retirement financial stuff, I never was a very good bean counter. So she told me that we got our IRA distributions this morning and did I want to buy something with mine. I don't have a big retirement account but I got around $900, she asked that I stay on budget! That sort of limited my purchase power, I figured a lens would be good and there are a few that are under $900.

After reading different reviews and opinions I decided to get the RF 800mm f/11. I found a used one at MPB in New York, Like New with both lens caps, original packaging and instruction book for $689. I have dealt with them before, selling and buying used gear and I generally find them to be fairly priced and accurate on descriptions.

I'm old school about filters and prefer to have one on the front element, I buy the best quality I can afford. When I'm out in the field I'm good about putting on a rear cap as I toss a lens into the bag between changes but usually don't have time to dig for the right sized front cap. I like the Chairo brand, B&H sells them. They are made with Schodt glass, got a 95mm UV for $50.

I ordered 2 other things, the Canon LZ1435 case and a JCC lens hood. The case is on the pricey side but my problem with some of the aftermarket ones is they are so big and bulky, the Canon one affords good protection for when I'm traveling. And the JCC lens hood is a 1/3 the price of the Canon one so I saved a few bucks there. Case was $79 and the hood was $18.

So with sales tax I spent about $840. Only other thing I might buy later on is the Kirk L bracket for the lens to make it easier to switch from horizontal to vertical. It costs $80 so I'll just have to catch my wife in a generous mood!

I know there are pros and cons to the 800mm as it is a fixed f/11 but I already own the Tamron 150-600mm and this lens would be good down at the bird refuge near Galveston with my new R7 as it will push it to a 1280mm so I decided to give it a try.

As a side not I used to own the Sigma 800mm f5.6. Loved the lens as it was very sharp and bright but man it was big and heavy to lug around. It came with a metal case for travel, I took it a few times to South Africa and it was great for wildlife but I go tired of the size.
Sounds like a good bang for the buck. Keep us posted on the performance of this combo.

Happy for you! Be interested to hear what you think about the lens once you start using it. I do a decent amount of bird photography as well.

Sounds like a good deal and a lot of reach for the money. Please report back on the results. Thanks for sharing your good fortune.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back