I shot some pictures with 16:9 selected. The raw files have the full 3:2 aspect with lines showing the cropping. Anyway to get the 3:2 full files?

Lewie B

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Lewie Barber
I shot some pictures with 16:9 selected. The raw files have the full 3:2 aspect with lines showing the cropping. Anyway to get the 3:2 full files?

There's is just a slight possibility that you may be able to see the full raw using the Canon DPP software or Lightroom CC. There's a comment posted by the creator of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvX5m5Xno4U that suggests that you can recover the full image. However it may well depend on exactly how you have the settings configured in the camera in the first place, so no guarantees it will work for you in this instance. Let us know how you get on, as it will be helpful for others too.

Last edited:
There's is just a slight possibility that you may be able to see the full raw using the Canon DPP software or Lightroom CC. There's a comment posted by the creator of this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvX5m5Xno4U that suggests that you can recover the full image. However it may well depend on exactly how you have the settings configured in the camera in the first place, so no guarantees it will work for you in this instance. Let us know how you get on, as it will be helpful for others too.
I watched the video but did not find an answer to my problem. It does have interesting info on settings, though.

What are you opening the raw files in? I just shot in that mode, imported to Lightroom, and during the import they showed as 3:2 but in Lightoom displayed at 16:9. I went to the Develop module and clicked on the Crop tool and it showed that it had applied a 16:9 crop factor but the entire image was there.

If you've got a bunch in there select them all, go to the Develop module, change the crop on the one displayed from "As Shot" to "Original", and then click on Sync and just check the Crop box.

What are you opening the raw files in? I just shot in that mode, imported to Lightroom, and during the import they showed as 3:2 but in Lightoom displayed at 16:9. I went to the Develop module and clicked on the Crop tool and it showed that it had applied a 16:9 crop factor but the entire image was there.

If you've got a bunch in there select them all, go to the Develop module, change the crop on the one displayed from "As Shot" to "Original", and then click on Sync and just check the Crop box.
You nailed it. I am just using Photoshop Elements, but in the Raw adjustments there is the crop tool that lets me expand to the 3:2 aspect!

Thanks for testing it out. That confirms the info in the comments of the video I posted then. The crop info is in the metadata for the raw file, so can be managed by Lightroom and dpp.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back