I think I killed my flash - help? (please move this where it should be if needed)

Hali

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I've been working on my submerged flower series in the studio lately. To achieve the lighting effect, I use my older 580EX flash to bounce light off a reflector and a (gasp) non-Canon flash for frontal light, both fired with a Godox trigger and receivers. Today, near the end of the shoot, my 580EX suddenly stopped working. It was extremely hot, hotter than usual. While it typically gets warm due to the number of consecutive exposures, this was different. The batteries (rechargeable Eneloops) were also incredibly hot (again, hotter than usual). The flash shows it's powered on, but the pilot button won't light up, and the flash won't fire. I waited about half an hour for it to cool down, replaced the batteries with a fresh set, but the issue persists—power is on, but the flash still won’t fire, either with the pilot button or when mounted on the camera. Have I killed the flash? It's probably not worth sending back to Canon given its age (I'm the original owner, I think I bought it new back in 2005 or 2006), I'd hate to replace it (and why do these things happen just when I retire and no longer have as much disposable income!)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Yeah, flashes do give up the ghost after a while. Best look for a good used copy.

I have the 580EX and it's still working fine - also have a 580EX II as a fallback.

The 580 series had a bit of a reputation for burning out flash tubes. It may be something you could fix on your own. If you did that, then you'd know you had a new tube, not a nearly-burnt-out one that you might get buying a used flash.

Fixing is good - just be aware there is a dangerous high voltage capacitor in those things.

Thank you both! I don’t think I will be opening the flash up. I’m not electrically inclined and capacitors are scary! I have a back up 600ex but now am on the hunt for a new back up. I don’t think k I will buy used. I may look at Godox or the like

Often, when a flash bulb "blows" it will actually break and you will hear small pieces of glass rattling around if you shake the flash.

I can highly recommend Godox flashes. I have a TT685II and haven't had any issues and it communicates perfectly well with my EOS R using a Godox trigger. If you are shooting in manual flash mode, then I would buy one of the manual flashes as they are cheaper. No need to have all of the E-TTL functionality if you aren't going to use it.

Thanks so much, Bryan. Am definitely leaning towards Godox. I do use ETTL most often so I think I will have to spend the extra money for that. It was quite the learning curve to learn how to use flash. I haven’t quite managed to learn manual yet

I mainly use manual flash when shooting macro. Otherwise, I am also a fan of E-TTL. I have had my TT685II Godox for two years now and love it. If I were buying a flash today, I would definitely buy another Godox, but I think I would buy a V860II or the V860III. V860IIs are still available new here in Europe and are about 50€ more than the TT685II that I now own. The advantage for me would be flash recycle time while shooting macro. Yes, I have an external battery pack now that enables my TT685II to have the same recycle time, but that is some extra weight to haul around with my lazy body and a cable from the battery pack to the flash that is somewhat annoying at times. Plus, not having to recharge 12 AA batteries for the flash and battery pack and only having one battery would also be a plus.

If you shoot off-camera flash, then Godox's triggers are also highly recommendable.

@Bryan Conner , is the V860III battery replaceable? What happens if you run out of charge?

I have the Godox X3 trigger which has a captive Li-ion battery. If it runs out during a shoot, I'm screwed.

I mainly use manual flash when shooting macro. Otherwise, I am also a fan of E-TTL. I have had my TT685II Godox for two years now and love it. If I were buying a flash today, I would definitely buy another Godox, but I think I would buy a V860II or the V860III. V860IIs are still available new here in Europe and are about 50€ more than the TT685II that I now own. The advantage for me would be flash recycle time while shooting macro. Yes, I have an external battery pack now that enables my TT685II to have the same recycle time, but that is some extra weight to haul around with my lazy body and a cable from the battery pack to the flash that is somewhat annoying at times. Plus, not having to recharge 12 AA batteries for the flash and battery pack and only having one battery would also be a plus.

If you shoot off-camera flash, then Godox's triggers are also highly recommendable.
Thanks for the information. I use the Godox trigger the X2T And X1 receivers which I have learned to love. I’m very happy with the idea of buying a Godox flash. Now to find the right one

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back