I was surprised how much editing I could do from a bad start!

Paul Iddon

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Paul Iddon
So you may have seen my macro image of the willow flea beetle (if you didn't, it's in the macro thread).

But this is what has shocked me - big style!

My 70D (Digic V) never gave me the exposure latitude that this Digic X processor in the EOS R10 seems capable of. Perhaps it's a one-off - maybe it's just my editing beforehand, but to get an image from the RAW file took me by surprise!

I am showing you the photo (jpg's) of this below, make of it what you will, but feel free to discuss...

Note: The flash did not trigger for this image...

1) Straight out of the camera into Lightroom...

2) Used Lightroom auto adjust, then tweaked a little here and there...

3) Imported into Photoshop CC and ran through Topaz Denoise before reducing size & sharpening for web.

1)
OOC-XL.jpg

2)
auto-XL.jpg

3)
green_beetle_small_4k_1800-XL.jpg

Really folks, to have rescued a photo like this from a 2013 build DSLR (the 70D) would I'm sure not have been anywhere like as useable.

I am impressed with the new camera, albeit still driving me nuts as I get used to and discover new features that I never realised existed!!!

Paul.

Definitely an impressive recovery Paul!

Really nice. One time with 5D4 I had studio flashes and for one pic they didn't trigger. Picture was ~black. Just for fun I tried to recover, it came surprisingly good. Not usable like your pic, but yet sometimes you can dig quite lot of information on post process.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back