Is it safe to store/transport the 100-500 with 1.4x TC in place?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Andrea

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Andrea Wilson
I have just picked up my 100-500 and wondered is it safe to store/transport it with 1.4x TC in place? - I'm paranoid about damaging the lens, but don't like removing lenses in the field when shooting wildlife.

I once met someone who once having bought a camera never changed the lens for fear of dust getting on the sensor which is extreme paranoia!
Most of us would prefer not to send our gear in hold luggage on an aircraft for fear it will be thrown around by baggage handlers but give no thought to the fact it may well have travelled in an individual package and been man handled by a delivery driver before we have received it.
Unless the conditions are severe, very windy and dusty or on a boat with salt spray flying around I wouldn't think twice of taking the TC off. My own preference is to get the lens back in place asap to protect the sensor then worry about the TC which is easier to clean anyway. You should with the power off first too but even that I don't always do if I'm in a hurry to get a shot.
These bits of kit are work tools designed for the purpose. Treat them with respect and care but don't underestimate they are built for purpose too.
If you have a bag that will take the extended body,TC and lens then transporting it well supported shouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks Dave. I wouldn't think twice of leaving my ef lenses and TCs in situ, but was concerned about the the fact that the 100-5000 with TC is positioned at 300 rather than wound back to 100.

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back