Keep using EF lenses or swap to RF version?

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

tpatana

Well Known Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Tero Patana
Kinda talking out aloud, but also looking for opinions and angle/thought I might have not seen myself.

This question is specifically for my indoor sports shooting, all other shooting types are more clear.

I used to have 1DX and 5D4, and usually I had 70-200 on 1DX and Sigma 85mm Art on 5D4 (often used by assistant). If/when shooting teams/poses, would usually swap to 24-70mm on the 5D4.

I sold the 5D4 and bought R5, and currently for RF lenses I have 28-70 and 35mm/1.8.

Sports hasn't started yet, but I'm thinking/planning how I would use the lenses, and if I should buy more. Too many options, hence writing them down helps to narrow down.

Option1: Don't buy anything, use EF 70-200 on R5 with adapter, and use Sigma 85mm on 1DX
Pros: no need to buy more lenses
Cons: Would RF 70-200 be better for quality? fps? AF performance? smaller too

Option1-B: Sell EF70-200 and buy RF 70-200.
Pros: better quality lens (marginally?)
Cons: Can't use 70-200 on 1DX anymore even if I wanted. ~$1k extra money.

Option2: Buy RF 70-200
Pro: can use 70-200 on both bodies on their native mount
Cons: same lens twice, lot of money too

Option3: Sell Sigma 85mm and buy RF 85mm DS (I'm kinda eyeing that lens for other shooting too...), use EF70-200 on 1DX and RF85mm on R5
Pros: I'd get awesome portrait lens too
Cons: Lot of money. Main lens (70-200) would be on older body (not that 1DX is a slouch)

I like each of the option for different reasons.

Any thoughts that would make me lean towards any of those? Option1 is my current state, and sports hasn't started anyway so in a way I have lot of time to think about this, no need to do rash decisions. But also lenses are mostly sold out, so getting in order earlier would get me lens sooner.

I guess one alternative option using current lenses would be:
1DX with EF 70-200
R5 with RF 28-70

At 70F2 it wouldn't be _that_ much different than 85, which I usually used at F2.0 when shooting. And this would give immediate flexibility to zoom out if need to take people/wider pics, and probably for the actual action it would be always at 70mm. One item on this option I don't favor is that my assistant is usually the person to shoot for people (since I'm from Finland, we don't like people, so I concentrate on the sports/action and assistants take the people/background/etc pics). So this option most likely I'd be using 1DX and assistant on R5. They are already fairly skilled on 1DX and 5D4, but R5 does need more learning curve to use.

Kinda talking out aloud, but also looking for opinions and angle/thought I might have not seen myself.

This question is specifically for my indoor sports shooting, all other shooting types are more clear.

I used to have 1DX and 5D4, and usually I had 70-200 on 1DX and Sigma 85mm Art on 5D4 (often used by assistant). If/when shooting teams/poses, would usually swap to 24-70mm on the 5D4.

I sold the 5D4 and bought R5, and currently for RF lenses I have 28-70 and 35mm/1.8.

Sports hasn't started yet, but I'm thinking/planning how I would use the lenses, and if I should buy more. Too many options, hence writing them down helps to narrow down.

Option1: Don't buy anything, use EF 70-200 on R5 with adapter, and use Sigma 85mm on 1DX
Pros: no need to buy more lenses
Cons: Would RF 70-200 be better for quality? fps? AF performance? smaller too

Option1-B: Sell EF70-200 and buy RF 70-200.
Pros: better quality lens (marginally?)
Cons: Can't use 70-200 on 1DX anymore even if I wanted. ~$1k extra money.

Option2: Buy RF 70-200
Pro: can use 70-200 on both bodies on their native mount
Cons: same lens twice, lot of money too

Option3: Sell Sigma 85mm and buy RF 85mm DS (I'm kinda eyeing that lens for other shooting too...), use EF70-200 on 1DX and RF85mm on R5
Pros: I'd get awesome portrait lens too
Cons: Lot of money. Main lens (70-200) would be on older body (not that 1DX is a slouch)

I like each of the option for different reasons.

Any thoughts that would make me lean towards any of those? Option1 is my current state, and sports hasn't started anyway so in a way I have lot of time to think about this, no need to do rash decisions. But also lenses are mostly sold out, so getting in order earlier would get me lens sooner.
I am in the same predicament. I have 7 L lenses and wondered if it’s best to swap now as the ef lenses still have a resale value. I think as time goes on more and more people are going mirrorless and the older lenses will lose value.

I am in the same predicament. I have 7 L lenses and wondered if it’s best to swap now as the ef lenses still have a resale value. I think as time goes on more and more people are going mirrorless and the older lenses will lose value.

Yea that's good point too. Although I expect to keep my 1DX for long time, it's great body anyway so I can have it as backup when I need hammer or something, so I'll probably keep some of my EF lenses even though I'll be slowly shifting most of my shooting to RF bodies and lenses.

Canon has discontinue a couple of dozen EF lenses and there there are going to be a lot of folks who will continue to buy or have existing bodies. I think there will be plenty of demand for used EF and am going to take my time converting over entirely until the price of RF start coming down or go on sale.

I jumped to RF lens as I was concerned about values going down and the man maths worked out for me at present. If making the change dont be too hasty in light of poor availability, certainly in the UK. Also if you are using the latest l series EF glass, the differences in performance are not as great as you may expect. The obvious differences for me are more compact and marginally faster AF.

Yea that's good point too. Although I expect to keep my 1DX for long time, it's great body anyway so I can have it as backup when I need hammer or something, so I'll probably keep some of my EF lenses even though I'll be slowly shifting most of my shooting to RF bodies and lenses.
The 1DX is a great camera but I found out the hard way that there are no repair parts available for it. Mine bit the dust with nowhere near the shutter actuations it was good for. No parts=no fix. It's now sitting on a shelf in my closet. Needless to say that's why I'm the proud owner of the r5 with EF lenses.

The 1DX is a great camera but I found out the hard way that there are no repair parts available for it. Mine bit the dust with nowhere near the shutter actuations it was good for. No parts=no fix. It's now sitting on a shelf in my closet. Needless to say that's why I'm the proud owner of the r5 with EF lenses.
I'm amazed there are no parts available for the 1DX, can't surely be that different from a 1DX2 or 3 for most bits surely? Is it Canon that have said this and have you tried other authorised repairers?
I know in the UK Canon's CPS issues statements on gear that is no longer supported, but you can get the item repaired elsewhere as some places buy up all the parts and sit on them for years to come.

I see no need to rush in to buying RF glass unless it offers a unique reason which only a few do at the moment. EF glass actually performs better on my R5 than it did on the 1DX2 and 5D4 for reasons connected to auto focus and aperture and I don't think RF glass would be any better in terms of IQ. I think one thing to consider with old glass is whether parts would be available should they be needed ( see above comments on the 1DX) but on the positive side you can pick up some EF bargains compared to buying in to new lenses.
I am delighted with my RF100-500 and will keep that until a better option is available but the RF 800 f11 although unique in terms of price and weight was not much to my liking as a lens and I have no wish to replace the one I had stolen.

Last edited:

View Latest Canon RF Lens Deals At: B&H Photo

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back