PKM-UK

Veteran Member
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Phil Moore
Images from our recent visit to Kiplin Hall, Kiplin, Vale of Mowbray, North Yorkshire, England.

(Shot raw and processed using: DxO PL Elite/ ViewPoint and Adobe LrC/ PS with Tony Kuyper Panels. Compilations are a mix of R7 - Karen and R5 - Phil).

You can find out more about Kiplin Hall by clicking Here.

Phil and Karen

1. The land on which Kiplin Hall stands had originally been a monastic holding under Easby Abbey until the Dissolution of the Monasteries (1536-1541) when it passed to John Scrope, 8th Baron Scrope of Bolton.

RF-S-KH2 -1.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 160

2. Kiplin Hall, a Jacobean country house, was initially built as a hunting lodge 1622-1625 by George Calvert, 1st Baron Baltimore, Secretary of State to James 1 and Founder of Maryland USA.

RF-S-KH2 -2.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF24-105mm F4 L IS USM
  • 24.0 mm
  • ƒ/8
  • 1/640 sec
  • ISO 100

3. George Calvert, together with his eldest son Cecil, planned the province of Maryland (now part of the United States). After the death of his father Cecil settled the colony in 1634 with a number of the adventurers coming from the Kiplin area. Calvert’s second son, Leonard, was the first colonial governor of the Province of Maryland. (The design of the Maryland state flag comes from the shield in the coat of arms of the Calvert Family).

RF-S-KH2 -3.jpg
  • Canon EOS R7
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 26.0 mm
  • ƒ/4.5
  • 1/200 sec
  • ISO 4000

4. Kiplin Hall has been home to four different families over its 400 year history. The Hall was requisitioned by the RAF during the Second World War (sadly, it was returned to the family in a dishevelled state - and they were left without recourse to compensation). It is now managed by the Kiplin Hall Trust.

RF-S-KH2 -4.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/3.5
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 1600

5. The Library was built in 1820 in a Gothic Style. It contains over 2,500 books and many historic items - including Lord Nelson’s chair from HMS Victory.

RF-S-KH2 -5.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF16mm F2.8 STM
  • 16.0 mm
  • ƒ/5.6
  • 1/250 sec
  • ISO 6400

6. The Dinning Room holds another, potentially more grisly, artefact from the past.

RF-S-KH2 -6.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF14-35mm F4 L IS USM
  • 14.0 mm
  • ƒ/4
  • 1/125 sec
  • ISO 6400

(Sources: Kiplin Hall, Wikipedia).

Last edited:
Excellent as always in both the information as well as the images to illustrate the story.

I just can't imagine the logic behind giving someone a piece of wood from the chopping block on which someone was beheaded. Grisly indeed.

Thanks for sharing everything....including the grisly....very interesting history indeed.

Excellent as always in both the information as well as the images to illustrate the story.

I just can't imagine the logic behind giving someone a piece of wood from the chopping block on which someone was beheaded. Grisly indeed.

Thanks for sharing everything....including the grisly....very interesting history indeed.
Hi Bryan,

Cheers - appreciated!

The chopping block was alarming enough, but they had it displayed in the dinning room which left us even more bewildered. 😮

This was another short stop-off on a long journey (up to Beamish in fact), which held more history than we had appreciated.

P&K

Thanks Phil for another wonderful set of images and a great history lesson. Though I must admit that possessing a section of the executioner's chopping block is a little morbid. :oops:

Thanks Phil for another wonderful set of images and a great history lesson. Though I must admit that possessing a section of the executioner's chopping block is a little morbid. :oops:
Hi Mike,

Cheers - much appreciated!

The block was definitely left field - not helped by its display siting.

(If the family assertion is indeed correct, we suspect King Charles I wasn't particularly impressed by this object either).

We're pleased to hear you enjoyed the rest of the show though... :)

P&K

Last edited:

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back