Followers
Following
Name
Hali
City/State
Rhode Island, US
CC Welcome
  1. Yes
I wasn't sure where to put this but since it's more of a close up than a full plant/nature shot I put it here. Late season clematis flower. I think because it was so late in the season there weren't many insects around to chomp on the petals so it's much prettier than those from early in the year. Sadly I just cut down the plant so I won't see anymore until next year. Focus stacked 8 images in Helicon focus, tried it in photoshop but there were more artificats there.
2022_11_06_Spider-10046-Edit1080.jpg
  • Canon EOS R6
  • RF100mm F2.8 L MACRO IS USM
  • 100.0 mm
  • ƒ/11
  • 1/2 sec
  • ISO 1250

Beautiful shot. I've yet to try stacking shots, but now I'm motivated from the look of this image. Is Helicon the only/best tool to process the photos?

Beautiful shot. I've yet to try stacking shots, but now I'm motivated from the look of this image. Is Helicon the only/best tool to process the photos?
Thank you Mike. There are a few programs out there. You can use Photoshop, Helicon focus and Zerene stacker. I have used Photoshop and Helicon focus and prefer Helicon focus. I think it does a better job. I used to do a lot more of it and have bought a lifetime license, so I'm a more inclined to use that than photoshop. If you want to try it, you can get 30-day trials of both Helicon and Zerene iirc.

Zerene does the best job at stacking as long as your images are well-aligned. It is particularly good at reducing the blur in areas where focal planes overlap (meaning, where you have something in front of something else). Photoshop is the best at aligning images before stacking them, but isn't great at the overlap thing. I found Helicon a little buggy when it comes to retouching.

Thanks guys. As usual there is no clear winner, so I need to research a bit and download the free trials. Appreciate the info.

I wasn't sure where to put this but since it's more of a close up than a full plant/nature shot I put it here. Late season clematis flower. I think because it was so late in the season there weren't many insects around to chomp on the petals so it's much prettier than those from early in the year. Sadly I just cut down the plant so I won't see anymore until next year. Focus stacked 8 images in Helicon focus, tried it in photoshop but there were more artificats there.View attachment 11911
Putting it here works for me. Great shot and like Mike, I think it’s time to try photo stacking. Time to use my gear to its fullest!👍

Outdoors is pretty ugly around here this week so I am left with flowers from houseplants. This stack shows a 'bloom' from a houseplant Aglaonema, I believe, stacked using the free DPP4 stacking utility which works well enough for my amateur needs. This series is rather close to 1:1 using the RP. If the plant continues to open, I may try it with the R7 now that it is taking a break from outdoor, macro duty due to the weather.
00aglaonema8726la85st.jpg

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back