New full frame coming?

100mp sensor! Would that still be a 35mm equivalent or are we now talking medium format camera, possibly with a square sensor. I also can't imagine how large RAW files would be.

This article is talking about a model that will "sit below R6", so although it's probably a welcome addition to their lineup, most of the anticipation and speculation is indeed around the rumored 100+MP camera. My only hope is that it's not prohibitively expensive! Would be a huge let-down if it ends up being a $10k, or even a $5K body.

Would that still be a 35mm equivalent or are we now talking medium format camera, possibly with a square sensor.
Pretty sure it's meant to be a "Full Frame" as well, which is 35mm equiv.

This article is talking about a model that will "sit below R6", so although it's probably a welcome addition to their lineup, most of the anticipation and speculation is indeed around the rumored 100+MP camera. My only hope is that it's not prohibitively expensive! Would be a huge let-down if it ends up being a $10k, or even a $5K body.

Pretty sure it's meant to be a "Full Frame" as well, which is 35mm equiv.
Any 100MP camera will be more than the R3, and could not possibly sit below the R6. There is talk of vlogging cameras that will likely be based on the old M series, whether full or cropped sensor, so that fills the cheap side of things. With the popularity of the R3 I can see an R1 at 100MP that sort of flips the D model with the 1-series was the top pro/news camera and things filled in below. I think the R1 will likely be something that pushes all the known boundaries of mirrorless cameras and while it can likely fill every need it will be cost prohibitive for anyone but a professional. And there's nothing wrong with that, because the tech on that will eventually find its way into the consumer models, like the R3 focus system did in the R7. I'm hoping for a R5/6 Mkii that adds that focus system, though I don't know that the upgrade from my current R5 would be cost justifiable.

Any 100MP camera will be more than the R3, and could not possibly sit below the R6. There is talk of vlogging cameras that will likely be based on the old M series, whether full or cropped sensor, so that fills the cheap side of things. With the popularity of the R3 I can see an R1 at 100MP that sort of flips the D model with the 1-series was the top pro/news camera and things filled in below. I think the R1 will likely be something that pushes all the known boundaries of mirrorless cameras and while it can likely fill every need it will be cost prohibitive for anyone but a professional. And there's nothing wrong with that, because the tech on that will eventually find its way into the consumer models, like the R3 focus system did in the R7. I'm hoping for a R5/6 Mkii that adds that focus system, though I don't know that the upgrade from my current R5 would be cost justifiable.
Just to be clear, I didn't imply that the 100mp would sit below R6, that's pretty obvious. It's just what the OP article wrote about the camera they're discussing.

You are probably right that hoping for the 100mp to be a reasonably priced camera is mostly wishful thinking, but I do think there's a chance. It doesn't necessarily have to have all the pro features that make cameras so expensive, just like R3 has lower res than R5, but is more expensive (if I'm not mistaken, I looked at these a while ago, so correct me if I'm wrong). Also, pros don't necessarily need 100mps. R7 has the highest pixel density available, but is cheaper than R6. Perhaps they could release two levels of cameras with that sensor. Just saying there's room to hope!

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back