New Member and New to Canon

Rob McAlister

Newcomer
Followers
Following
Name
Rob
Hi Everyone--

Thanks for adding me Tim--I'm happy to be a new member of this group and live in Kentucky USA. I am new to Canon and researched many cameras before recently buying the R8. I was drawn to the R6mii but decided on the R8 due to price and my general lack of experience. The R8 seemed like a good choice for an enthusiast with aspirations for growing into a higher level photographer. I enjoy all types of photography but macro (flowers especially), landscape, and family photography will probably be my most common subjects. The money I saved on the R8 will go to glass; I have a RF nifty 50 and RF 24-50 but am eyeing the RF 24-70 F2.8 L as my first luxury lens...not sure if this is the best part of the "holy trinity" of lenses to get first, but seems to offer great flexibility.

Thanks again, and I look forward to being part of this online community--

Rob

Hi Tim and welcome. I switched to Canon from shooting a Nikon DSLR last July. I bought a R6 and my first lens happened to be the RF 24-70 F2.8 L. I absolutely LOVE both, but a lot of people report great results with the 24-105 f/4. However, the f/2.8 will be better for portraits if you can afford the upgrade. Although, the 50 f/1.8 would still be great for portraits. The best portraits I ever took with Nikon was with their cheap-o 50 mm and I know that RF one is exceptional as well.

Thank you for that explanation/information about the 24-105 f/4. I will investigate that some more. There are so many glowing reviews of the 24-70 f2.8L that I’ve been a bit captivated by it.

Welcome Rob! Glad you found us and thanks for deciding to join up :) It sounds like you made a sensible decision saving a bit on the camera and having more available for glass. I don't own the RF 24-70 F2.8 L but it seems to get very good reviews. It will definitely put a dent in your pocket though! Let me know if you have any questions about the forum here.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back