Canon R6 I R6 vs R7

tbar23

Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Trevor
I am quite new to photography, but have ramped up considerably over the last year. After years of dabbling, I got more serious last year and purchased my first non-phone camera since a 2000-era Nikon D40 DSLR - bought when my kids were born almost 20 years ago.
Not sure how serious I would get, I opted for the EOS Rp.
The Rp has been used for astrophotography as well as general-purpose (e.g. travel, events - prom / graduation, and family get-togethers).
In preparation for an African safari this summer, I purchased an RF 100-500mm lens and have started enjoying sports photography.
I’m also anticipating both photos and videos of my son next winter - where he does big air slopestyle ski events.
Current lens collection includes: RF 100-500, RF 50 F1.8, RF 24-105 F4-7.1 STM and a Rokinon 14mm F2.8.
So what’s the question, you ask:
Last night I read extensively about Canon’s other mirrorless cameras including the R, R5, R6, R7 and R10.
I am intrigued by a number of features, but the three that seem the most important to me are:
  1. in-body image stabilization
  2. improved auto-focus
  3. improved video capability
With that list of feature priorities, the R drops off the contention list, and I don’t think the R10 is enough of a step-up from the Rp to consider.
The R5 is quite intriguing to me, but let’s be honest, I’m still a newbie, and it isn’t clear that a $3900 body makes sense for me (haven’t ruled it out, though).
Roughly, that’s the process that has narrowed me down to R6 vs R7.
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the implications of a crop-sensor, but for safari, it seems like the extra reach out be fantastic. And assuming I understand things correctly, the downside is that I’m effectively slowing the lens down about a half-stop due to less light gathering capability of the smaller sensor.
With a $1000 incentive, I’m wondering how this group would think about comparing the R6 to the R7 and what use case would push you one direction vs another?
And perhaps a side question of what would push you to recommend an R5 over either of them.

Thank you!

@dougsmit - agreed. I didn’t know about Gigapixel - will check it out some more, but I’m with you. I started my photography journey late in life with an EOS RP. The R7 was a perfect upgrade. Might I graduate to R5 territory some day - maybe. My camera is not the weak link right now (probably wasn’t with the RP, either, but new gear is fun ;)

Great photo and I'm glad the trip went well. I share the opinion that Gigapixel and other software have made it necessary to reconsider some of the assumptions we once made and realize there are many ways to reach our destination. I do not and will not have an R5 but do wonder what Canon will come up with next. The R7 was not aimed at R5 owners (the R1 will be) but it seems a good thing for people like me with the RP and people with older APS-C cameras when they get over their addiction to the mirror. I think it is safe to assume there will be cameras in five years will make current model seem like the dinosaurs we were proud to use ten years ago. If you have not tried it, run Gigapixel on some of the files you made with your first Canon DSLR. It did wonders for my 300D and 20D (an IR conversion which Topaz has given new life - sorry those images are not appropriate here but I'll be rethinking retiring it now due to the software even though I am not 'into' IR enough to have an RP converted. Where do you go next? I assume you will be busy sorting and processing for a while. I was gone for four days to Washington DC and taking it slow processing. I saw a YouTube video by a guy who explained how he ends up with 0.2% (or something similar?) keeper image which probably betters my rate when you subtract the duplicates, poor poses and just plain mistakes. It is interesting when an image you thought was perfect gets downgraded when you shoot the same thing only better. That is the hobby.
You tempt me to go back and Gigapixel some of the D60 (not 60D) and original 5D photos i have.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back