Canon R3 R3 Issues

super_claret

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Finally took the plunge and ordered an R3 and have spent the last few days setting up the camera.
I have noticed a couple of things, firstly, the top shutter speed of 1/64000 doesnt seem to be available in Aperture Priority mode. The shutter speeds are maxed out at 1/8000, however, in Shutter Priority and manual modes, I can access all speeds up to 1/64000.

Another issue I have found is related to image stabilisation. When I attach image stabilised RF lenses to the R3, the camera shows the IS is turned on but I cannot get sharp shots at slower shutter speeds. I’ve tested a couple of IS RF lenses and none of them seem to be working. I also have an R6 and all lenses work perfectly on that body. I can can successfully hand hold down to as long as a couple of seconds, fairly consistently, but with the R3, I struggle to get sharp shots at 1/15th.
I also can report that with the RF 50mm f1.8, I can get sharper shots with the image stabilisation turned off in camera.

Something is not quite right. Anyone have the same issues?

Firmware v1.2.1

Shutter speeds are in spec.
Shutter

Still photo shooting

Type:

Rolling shutter, using the image sensor
Electronically controlled focal-plane shutter

Shutter mode: Mechanical shutter / Electronic 1st-curtain / Electronic shutter

Shutter speed

Mechanical shutter / Electronic 1st-curtain1/8000 to 30 sec. (in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments), bulb exposures
Electronic shutter1/64000 sec., 1/32000 sec., 1/16000 sec., 1/12800 sec., 1/10000 sec., or 1/8000 sec. to 30 sec. (in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments), bulb exposures
In electronic shutter shooting, shutter speeds of 1/10000 sec. or faster are only available in Tv or M mode (up to 1/8000 sec. in Fv, P, or Av mode).
Adjustments by the camera when the shutter speed is set to 1/64000 or 1/32000 sec. in electronic shutter shooting may involve the aperture value or ISO speed in some shooting conditions, because exposure cannot be controlled in 1/3 or 1/2-stop increments.
Maximum shutter speed is 1/8000 sec. in HDR mode or with focus bracketing or high-speed sync, or when set to maintain the same exposure when the aperture value changes.

I think I’ve solved my IS problem. In the menu, the IS for stills was set to “shot only”, I’ve switched it to always and now I can get sharp shots at 1 sec fairly consistently. Trouble is, when you are shooting with an IS lens attached, there’s nothing in the menu to check as the option disappears when an IS lens is attached. Still think there’s something wrong as surely, either setting should give sharp shots?

I think I’m suffering from information overload, there’s so many settings to work through. It’s worth it though when I see the quality of the files, especially the higher ISO’s.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back