PietPienaar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Pieter Pienaar
My R5 has a “Cropping/Aspect Ratio” (first menu panel) set to FULL as default. I took some images in RAW with this setting on 1.6 but the quality of the image seems to be negatively affected. Anyone with a similar experiencee or comment?

It's the "crop" mode and only gives you 17mps resolution but a magnification factor of 1.6x. Basically only uses the center of the lens like a FF lens on a crop body (R7) camera. Same as taking the FF and cropping it in post down to 17mps.

I've seen MTF charts for an R5 in Full and 1:6 Crop mode that seem to show that the quality drops. I don't buy it except when I consider that resolution likely factors into that measure, so sure, 45MPs will show higher quality than 17MPs. But I shoot a lot of small birds and the ability to use 1.6x mode if only to reduce file size has been a blessing at times. I've noticed no difference in resulting quality.

I don't do it as much after adding an R7 to the bag which gives me both the reach and the resolution.

It's the "crop" mode and only gives you 17mps resolution but a magnification factor of 1.6x. Basically only uses the center of the lens like a FF lens on a crop body (R7) camera. Same as taking the FF and cropping it in post down to 17mps.
Great info! Thanks RedCobra.

The 1.6 crop mode can be beneficial in as much as it aids AF and eye detect. Less pixels but sharper focus perhaps? You would in all probability crop those shots later anyway so might as well do it in camera.

My R5 has a “Cropping/Aspect Ratio” (first menu panel) set to FULL as default. I took some images in RAW with this setting on 1.6 but the quality of the image seems to be negatively affected. Anyone with a similar experiencee or comment?
My understanding was that this was if you used lenses only compatible with cropped sensor cameras and that images were recorded with only o think 6megapixels

Late reply... I have been using crop mode quite a bit lately. So 500mm @ 1.6 crop mode gives me an effective focal length of 800mm. Yes, its less pixels (17mp before post cropping), however, I have had great success with it.

Here are examples of the IQ...

Duck Flashing Feathers 09-05-2023.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/2500 sec
  • ISO 800

Merganser Lewiston ID 1 09-04-2023.jpg
  • Canon EOS R5
  • RF100-500mm F4.5-7.1 L IS USM
  • 500.0 mm
  • ƒ/7.1
  • 1/1000 sec
  • ISO 2500

Is there any difference between setting the crop mode in the camera and taking the full-frame image and cropping later?

I saw a post, perhaps in this forum, where someone did a review comparing full-frame and post cropping vs crop mode. It was mostly a wash between the 2 camps. For me, after I experimented with the setting, I was so satisfied with the results that I didn't bother calculating the difference in megapixels.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back