PietPienaar

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Pieter Pienaar
My R5 has a “Cropping/Aspect Ratio” (first menu panel) set to FULL as default. I took some images in RAW with this setting on 1.6 but the quality of the image seems to be negatively affected. Anyone with a similar experiencee or comment?

I don't have an R5 to try, but I wonder if the "crop mode" image can be displayed with full-frame content in Canon DPP. A while back, for an article I was writing, I changed the aspect ratio on my 5D M4 to 1:1 which yielded square images in Lightroom. But I could display the full-size frame in DPP. This is purely a curiosity question for me, but may have some benefits to R5 users. I am not sure.

I don't have an R5 to try, but I wonder if the "crop mode" image can be displayed with full-frame content in Canon DPP. A while back, for an article I was writing, I changed the aspect ratio on my 5D M4 to 1:1 which yielded square images in Lightroom. But I could display the full-size frame in DPP. This is purely a curiosity question for me, but may have some benefits to R5 users. I am not sure.
Interesting! I don't use DPP and I am far too lazy to do the experiment - haha! However, maybe others in our forum may have some experience with your question. I would love to hear from them.

BTW, just as an aside. I also have the R6 Mk II (I really love this camera) and I have compared the digital extender on R6 Mk II with the R5 1.6 crop mode and, as many might expect, the crop mode's IQ was much better.

Is there any difference between setting the crop mode in the camera and taking the full-frame image and cropping later?
No

Late reply... I have been using crop mode quite a bit lately. So 500mm @ 1.6 crop mode gives me an effective focal length of 800mm. Yes, its less pixels (17mp before post cropping), however, I have had great success with it.

Here are examples of the IQ...

View attachment 19610

View attachment 19611
These are great images. I must try the crop mode myself.

I wonder. RF 800 F11 in crop mode. Could work.

I wonder. RF 800 F11 in crop mode. Could work.
Should work fine. The advantage of the R5 crop mode over the extenders is that you still maintain the aperture. I don't use my extenders any longer with the R5. I only use them with the R6 MkII.

Should work fine. The advantage of the R5 crop mode over the extenders is that you still maintain the aperture. I don't use my extenders any longer with the R5. I only use them with the R6 MkII.
Another set-up for me to try out and post to here. I need to try it out on the next full moon. My view of the moon here in Mandurah is pretty good and the light pollution is fairly negligible. I only have the EF 2x extender so my 800 F/11 will be a good try out in crop mode.

The 1.6 crop mode can be beneficial in as much as it aids AF and eye detect. Less pixels but sharper focus perhaps? You would in all probability crop those shots later anyway so might as well do it in camera.
The AF system has to process 1.6 times fewer lines per frame, so it's "faster", but it depends in the situation if you're actually going to notice a difference. In my experience, it seems to be slightly better at detecting eyes at the same distance, but I don't have any proper data on that.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back