Canon R5 R5 Electronic Shutter Sound

yes! I would love that option - I accidentally shot a load of images I didn't realize I was taking - after that incident I switched to mechanical

Just curious if anyone wishes that the electronic shutter on the R5 would have a sound option, so you actually know when you have pressed the shutter button and captured an image.

I find when using the electronic shutter it's far too easy to trigger the shutter when focussing, and often I don't even know that I've done it because the shutter button is so sensitive.

I also use a Sony a9 which provides an option to turn on sound when using the electronic shutter and this works well. It's only a very quiet sound (much quieter than the mechanical shutter) but it's good to get that audible feedback, and you can still disable it if you really need complete silence.

I find myself using the mechanical shutter on the R5 more often than the electronic just so I know when I've taken a shot, but I would use the electronic shutter more often if there was some audible feedback.
Agree, especially your last sentence.

Just curious if anyone wishes that the electronic shutter on the R5 would have a sound option, so you actually know when you have pressed the shutter button and captured an image.

I find when using the electronic shutter it's far too easy to trigger the shutter when focussing, and often I don't even know that I've done it because the shutter button is so sensitive.

I also use a Sony a9 which provides an option to turn on sound when using the electronic shutter and this works well. It's only a very quiet sound (much quieter than the mechanical shutter) but it's good to get that audible feedback, and you can still disable it if you really need complete silence.

I find myself using the mechanical shutter on the R5 more often than the electronic just so I know when I've taken a shot, but I would use the electronic shutter more often if there was some audible feedback.
I like the idea very much to have this shutter sound as a selectable option. On the focus and shoot issue, I have removed my focus from the shutter button and use the back button focus exclusively now. Both the Spot focus and Eye auto-detect on two separate buttons. This allows for overcoming some of the shortcomings of the autofocus selections in busy images. I've become very accustomed to this setup now and it feels natural.

I use the back button but only for Eye AF. I disable it on the shutter button. I find this method to be faster for locking on and more useful if a bird is perched and slightly obscured by branches as I can lock focus on the bird with spot AF and grab a safety shot, then use Eye AF to play with the composition. If I try jumping straight to Eye AF and there are branches in front of the bird it will often just hunt and struggle to find the bird let alone the eye.
I use BBF all the time, and love it. I do notice it hunts sometimes like you said, at that point I use the focus and recompose technique, which works great for quick shots.

I want audible warning for e'shutter too.

If its quiet and you listen carefully there is a faint sound

Absolutely, which is one of the reasons I waited for the R3. I rented an R5 and was getting ready to pull the trigger on one when the R3 was announced. Was able to play with an R3 pretty early and loved having the sound option, can even play it to an earphone. That and other features of the R3 made me decide to pass on the R5. While waiting for my R3 I rented an R5 several more times, and almost always avoided Electronic shutter mode because of lack of feedback (as well as banding with certain stage lighting). Did 99% of my shooting in 1st Curtain Electronic shutter mode.

I use the back button but only for Eye AF. I disable it on the shutter button. I find this method to be faster for locking on and more useful if a bird is perched and slightly obscured by branches as I can lock focus on the bird with spot AF and grab a safety shot, then use Eye AF to play with the composition. If I try jumping straight to Eye AF and there are branches in front of the bird it will often just hunt and struggle to find the bird let alone the eye.
I have the main AF button set to animal eye focus, and the asterisk button next to it set to single point AF. In busy backgrounds I hit the spot first on the bird, keep the camera steady and then hit the animal eye. You just slide your thumb over. The spot seems to tell the cam where to look before I hit animal eye. Takes a little practice, but......

I believe that in some public places/wildlife hides silent shutter is becoming mandatory . I'm fully supportive of the idea and the idea of listening to multiple actuations going on around me is not something I want to have to listen to. It's probably even more irritating to those who don't use a camera.

I believe that in some public places/wildlife hides silent shutter is becoming mandatory . I'm fully supportive of the idea and the idea of listening to multiple actuations going on around me is not something I want to have to listen to. It's probably even more irritating to those who don't use a camera.
I believe that is why it is being requested as an option so you can choose what works for you.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back