Canon R5 R5 Focusing Issues (primarily with bald eagles)

NancyMac

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Nancy Mc
Hi All,

I'm using an R5 with a 100-500mm lens. I feel like my lens is slow with autofocus tracking of birds in flight.

I'm using manual settings w/ my shutter speed at 1:3200 or maybe a little less, aperture 7.1,-8.0, and iso as needed.
Settings to animal, SERVO, high speed continuous exposure +, and using the back button focus button.

Should the focus be set to Expand Auto Focus Around or the face focus plus tracking??
Do I need to adjust the sensitivity AF pt select away from zero (purple screen) or do I need to change something in initial servo AF pt??

I'm super frustrated. I never had any issues with my 7D.
I feel like I'm just missing a setting or something within my camera???
Also, I have IS off, because a lot of my pics are taking from a boat.

I am mostly shooting wildlife...
Thank you very much for your assistance. I used to be 9/10 with the only issue being my exposure (under), but now I can see my adjusts as I tweak things in camera, and my issue is solely the focusing...

Nancy

Hi RedCobra,
I had IS on yesterday, and as I was bouncing around on the big ocean, it was jumping around like crazy. I've never used IS before with wildlife photography. I rely on my shutter speed to compensate. I do use IS on land, however. I just felt Iike I was fighting the camera yesterday with the IS.
Is IS turned on in camera and on the lens? I've shot the R5 on the Chesapeake Bay from a sailboat and not had that issue.

Hi Dave,

I shoot manual also and it seems like the focal settings are all off for me.

I tried them with zone today and the focus wasn't locking in anywhere near where I wanted it to be.

I have used the one point AF, but I do find that it's difficult to line that focal point up with the head of a bird in flight. I then went to the expand around area because that was easier to line up.
*****Is it possible to go with the expand around af area button, or no?

If I select your single point, and animals of course, along with servo AF, and discontinue "continuous AF" (seems counterintuitive, but ok I'll do this), then the eye detection is disabled. Don't we want eye detection enabled? It won't allow me to select that option with the single point AF. Or having the back button set to eye will do the trick?

***** You said on the "Red Menu Customize buttons I select no change on the shutter button as described previously." I'm not sure what I'm suppose or not supposed. to do here??

*****Did you make any adjustments to your Case settings (Purple AF area section 3).... Do you have yours on Case 1 still?

*****Presumably if these settings will work well for a bird in flight, then obviously it will suffice for a deer in the yard, or a lion in Africa? How about an orca whale where it won't be able to track it's eye???? That's where it's difficult to toggle the joystick super tiny button and hope it lines up with where an orca breaches and what not.... I've got less than 1 second to toggle the square around.... Just rely on my shutter speed???
*****What's a gal to do in this scenario?

Lastly, I'm a bit old fashioned too. I'm used to adjusting my ISO, aperture and shutter speed and I'm off to the races. All of these special settings are throwing me off. I was the only one able to capture a bald eagle taking out a turkey vulture today, however the images aren't nearly as sharp as I'm accustomed to.

So far I've been fairly disappointed with this camera / lens set up. I know you all rave about them, but I'm hoping with making these adjustments that I'll see a great improvement. I'm ready to put both on the market, but I'm trying to hang in there. 95% of my photos were not crisp at all today....Such a BUMMER!!!!!

Thanks again,

Nancy

As I stated previously, there are many ways to set up your camera. No right or wrong ways, just ones that work for yourself.
The ones I use have been a personal huge leap forward. I agree, trying to put a single point on a moving bird is nigh on impossible unless it's a slow moving Heron or similar. Now I don't worry about the AF point I let the camera do that and I just worry about the composition and trying to keep the subject in the frame.
I have tried Jake's settings that he's suggested and it makes little difference in many scenarios but to me is less effective when I want to use the single point to go where I want it not where the camera chooses. That's when I use the shutter button and joystick.
The biggest single difference though is customising your buttons to work the way you want them to and Jake makes no mention of how he's set up his. The default setting for the camera is that the shutter button is set to start metering and auto focus at a half press and take a shot when fully depressed. I leave that as it is. I know people are still using what I see as a waste by disabling the shutter button to meter and AF but it never worked for me until I bought the R5 because then they have introduced eye detect.

Just try one thing! :-

Use your red menu and enable the Af-on ( or any button you choose but it's probably the best placed one) to the eye AF as described by me previously. That is the hallelujah moment when the camera searches and tries or finds the eye. Doesn't matter if you have set single point or expanded point it is no more, no less accurate with either it seems to me. If it can't find an eye it usually comes close so a moving bird will be picked up and the AF locks on for as long as you hold your back button down. Press the shutter button and it takes shots for as long as you hold it down but the eye is still being tracked.
I know lots of people don't like DPP but I use it to decide which shots to keep and which to drop in to the bin. In the quick check setting you can enable the AF point to see where it actually hit. Example below using my settings. It's not always on the eye but if you have sufficient DOF all is fine.
Screenshot 2022-07-14 at 21.17 copy.jpg

Will it track a Lion in Africa....I'll let you know in a few weeks time! I imagine it will, it works a treat on a domestic pet.

An Orca? It may well struggle with the eye , as it may well with Dolphins of any sort as there is a lot of reflection from the water but if there is sufficient contrast it should find the beast!

I hope you find my suggestions useful in your search to get the R5 working as you'd like. I hate to see anyone struggle when mine works so well for me. If someone else's settings suit you better that's great, just as long as you are happy!

PS I tend to use Case settings 1-3. For these Puffins it was continue to track ignoring obstacles which it did even when the Puffin landed at the back of a group and was largely hidden. Case 2. The Puffins were suddenly appearing over the top of a rise and I had a couple of seconds to grab the shots as they came down at a fair speed to join the group.

PPS Single point is the quickest way I find to put the target in the same distance zone you want to search in. I often have to focus on a nearby bigger object before starting to search for a small bird in a bush

Last edited:
Is IS turned on in camera and on the lens? I've shot the R5 on the Chesapeake Bay from a sailboat and not had that issue.
On the RF 100-500 the IS in camera is automatically on as it is when any IS lens is attached be they RF or EF. I don't think you can disable the in body IS unless it's a non-IS lens can you?
No 3 setting is the one to set the lens IS to when on a boat from what I can recall. The 3 different settings ( on IS lenses that have 3) do seem to make a difference in performance.

You got a lot of advice here, some of which is conflicting. Try this and report back:

Set the AF Menu 1 as follows:
AF Operation: Servo
AF Method: Face tracking (looks like an 'L' )
Subject to detect: Animals
Eye detection: Enable
Continuous AF: Disable
Focus mode: AF

In AF Menu 5 set Initial Servo Pt to Auto

As far as "Continuous AF" goes, the reason it's off while Servo is on, is because it will try to maintain focus at all times, and that'll drain your battery real quick. Better to have the camera auto focus while you're pressing a button - the AF-On button, or the shutter button.

Good advice, but just so you know the Detect Eyes will show "Off" grayed out unless you're in the L+Tracking mode. It will still look for an eye when you 1/2 press the focus button, but it won't pre-search for one.

Just curious, you said you are using the back button. Do you have that set for eye-detect while using the front button for another mode? That works (I have mine set up this way), but it may not work as well as just shooting in L+Tracking. I've had the camera for a year and am still playing with this and will change the primary focus mode from time to time when the back button eye detect is struggling.
Hi Jake,
Per group suggestion I have shutter set to 1 point AF (seems like a very small spot to be lucky enough to line up with a breaching whale or fast flying bird) and then the back focus to eyeAF (2nd row - 4th from the left)

With choosing one point from my shutter tho it disables eye detection in AF section 1.

Ugh!!

Good advice, but just so you know the Detect Eyes will show "Off" grayed out unless you're in the L+Tracking mode. It will still look for an eye when you 1/2 press the focus button, but it won't pre-search for one.

Just curious, you said you are using the back button. Do you have that set for eye-detect while using the front button for another mode? That works (I have mine set up this way), but it may not work as well as just shooting in L+Tracking. I've had the camera for a year and am still playing with this and will change the primary focus mode from time to time when the back button eye detect is
No! Use "Face + Tracking"
I’ve switched it to face +,tracking. There’s no way I was gonna line up that little square with any fast moving animal. I’ve done that.

Here’s where I’m at. Please let me know if I missed anything -

AF screen (purple)
Servo AF
AF to Face plus tracking
Animals
Eye detection enable
Cont AF disabled

Screen 3
Case 1
No changes to tracking or acel or decel?

Screen 5
Initial servo point for AF pt is face plus tracking and is at Auto

Camera settings
Customize buttons

Shutter at half press metering and AF start
AF on button set to eye AF (2nd row 4th across)

Are these all I need to make to get some clear images? Thanks. Nancy

Just curious, you said you are using the back button. Do you have that set for eye-detect while using the front button for another mode? That works (I have mine set up this way), but it may not work as well as just shooting in L+Tracking. I've had the camera for a year and am still playing with this and will change the primary focus mode from time to time when the back button eye detect is struggling.
Back button for eyes AF. ???

Hi. I’m replying on my cell so can’t see where you wrote to turn IS on in my camera
On red settings (camera) section 7 there isn’t an IS option. The first option is to enable Tocuh Shutter. IS should be the first option. It’s not there. ??

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back