Canon R5 R5 Focusing Issues (primarily with bald eagles)

I’ve switched it to face +,tracking. There’s no way I was gonna line up that little square with any fast moving animal. I’ve done that.

Here’s where I’m at. Please let me know if I missed anything -

AF screen (purple)
Servo AF
AF to Face plus tracking
Animals
Eye detection enable
Cont AF disabled

Screen 3
Case 1
No changes to tracking or acel or decel?

Screen 5
Initial servo point for AF pt is face plus tracking and is at Auto

Camera settings
Customize buttons

Shutter at half press metering and AF start
AF on button set to eye AF (2nd row 4th across)

Are these all I need to make to get some clear images? Thanks. Nancy
Only thing I would do is set Screen 3 to Auto (the advice of most pro-reps) unless you have specific cases where the subject meets one of the specific criteria. I actually use Case 4 but changed the Tracking to -1 so it sticks on the initial subject better, but that speaks to the small birds I tend to shoot.

It takes a couple weeks of shooting to fine tune, and as I said I've enabled the control wheel on the lens to allow me to switch between focus points. I've used AF Menu 4-Limit Focus Methods to eliminate all but Face Tracking, Expanded Area and Large Zone Horizontal as those are what I've found useful and it doesn't require me to move through things I'll never use.

Conflicting?! Really?! Please explain, because there's nothing conflicting about any of it
You told her to have Face+Tracking and Dave Williams told her to set Single Point AF. She got confused.

You told her to have Face+Tracking and Dave Williams told her to set Single Point AF. She got confused.
I thought originally you were saying my settings conflicted with each other. Only afterward did I realize what you meant and deleted it. ;)

Nope. Your advice was pretty consistent : ) I tweaked my settings to match yours as well. Hoping to a catch some bees in flight.

I thought originally you were saying my settings conflicted with each other. Only afterward did I realize what you meant and deleted it. ;)
Yes the single point will not work out for me. I had it set to single in Yellowstone in the winter and was so frustrated so I moved it to expand around so that at least I had a larger bullseye to toggle around. Got some decent pics.

Now another question. I’ve followed all instructions thus far …

If my shutter release is set to face plus tracking then what should by back button be set to in order to compliment this, or as a plan B If face tracking isn’t cutting it?

And are these the best settings for further away subjects like breaching whales (maybe 100+ yards away ish)

Someone mentioned keeping IS on on my lens. This didn’t work well for me at all. It had a mind of its own and was bouncing around. Then they suggested turning on IS in camera too. In the camera section (red) I don’t have an IS option.

Thanks all,
Nancy.

Jake said he uses the AF-On button for "Eye Tracking" for the case when his AF is set to anything other than Face+Tracking. Not sure you could do better than that.

as a plan B If face tracking isn’t cutting it?
If the camera won't detect automatically (while shutter release is half-pressed or AF-on is pressed), I think your only resort is to tap the target (bird) on the screen. That'll put a double frame around it, lock onto the target, and will track it continuously for as long as the bird is in the view of the camera. That tells the camera exactly what you want to focus on, so it won't decide that something else is more important.

Yes the single point will not work out for me. I had it set to single in Yellowstone in the winter and was so frustrated so I moved it to expand around so that at least I had a larger bullseye to toggle around. Got some decent pics.

Now another question. I’ve followed all instructions thus far …

If my shutter release is set to face plus tracking then what should by back button be set to in order to compliment this, or as a plan B If face tracking isn’t cutting it?

And are these the best settings for further away subjects like breaching whales (maybe 100+ yards away ish)

Someone mentioned keeping IS on on my lens. This didn’t work well for me at all. It had a mind of its own and was bouncing around. Then they suggested turning on IS in camera too. In the camera section (red) I don’t have an IS option.

Thanks all,
Nancy.

Jake said he uses the AF-On button for "Eye Tracking" for the case when his AF is set to anything other than Face+Tracking. Not sure you could do better than that.

If the camera won't detect automatically (while shutter release is half-pressed or AF-on is pressed), I think your only resort is to tap the target (bird) on the screen. That'll put a double frame around it, lock onto the target, and will track it continuously for as long as the bird is in the view of the camera. That tells the camera exactly what you want to focus on, so it won't decide that something else is more important.
got it. Thank you, Kwazy.
Any idea on the IS mode to be "set up" within camera? I don't have that option in my camera on camera set up (red screen), page 7....

Any idea on the IS mode to be "set up" within camera? I don't have that option in my camera on camera set up (red screen), page 7....

My guess is that's because IS is turned off with the physical switch on your lens, since as you said, it didn't work out well in your situation.
If it's off on the lens, it's off in the camera as well, and the setting will be hidden. I think. Don't have the camera with me right now to double check.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back