Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mara Lee
City/State
Atlanta, GA
Hey all! I've been busy and not around much, but I'm going to try to pop in more often.

I'd read on other forums about the known issue of the hot shoe working loose on the R5 and R6, with some actually breaking completely off. I use a speedlight almost daily on my R6 doing Fresh 48's, and took what I thought to be a lot of caution handling my rig. Unfortunately, just the every day use of the hot shoe caused it to start wiggling when the speedlight was attached for bounce flash. It gradually worsened until I decided I'd better send it to Canon for a CarePak repair so I could get it back in time for our Jamaica trip later this month. I also decided it was time to have a backup camera so I wouldn't miss work during repairs or maintenance.

I intended to get a second R6 as a backup, and headed to a Best Buy 90 minutes away as they had a couple in stock. My husband told me he thought I should get an R5 and use the R6 as backup. I was reluctant, because the R6 is perfect for low-light shooting in hospital rooms, and the smaller files are quick to process. However, when I got to BB, they had a demo R5 they'd only had out a couple weeks, and they offered it to me for $2969. It was in pristine condition, under full warranty and had all of its accompaniments. How could I say no? The first thing I did was get a SmallRig cage that fits with the battery grip so I can use the trigger and speedlight without wearing out another hot shoe.

So now I'm pretty well outfitted with the R5, an R6 and a great selection of RF glass. It's going to make my two weeks in Jamaica an awesome photo vacation!

(Just in case anyone is curious as to how much the hot shoe repair is outside of warranty or CarePak in the US, it's $377 for parts and labor.)

Photo is one of the first I took with the R5, and I *think* the RF 35mm. I haven't had much of a chance to get the camera out yet other than newborns that are HIPAA protected.

Attachments

• MnMs.jpg
    MnMs.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 57
Great photo, congrats on the R5 (love mine) and sorry to hear about the "less than secure" hot shoe. From what you have described, and your situation, it makes me wonder what Canon will do about this. It seems that proper use (whether casual or frequent) shouldn't result in an expensive repair, and Canon should take responsibiltity.

Great score on the R5. What is a fresh 48?
Fresh 48s are newborn photos usually done in the hospital when the baby is 24-48 hours old. We use what's available in the room in a photo-journalistic manner rather than using props like a regular newborn/baby photographer.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back