Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Steve Palmer
City/State
Norfolk, United Kingdom
I have an R5 with an RF - EF ring adapter which I use with an EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6 II lens, and sometimes a 1.4 x iii adapter. I am finding that when I switch the camera on it all works fine. Then, and I'm not quite sure the trigger, the ring (which is set to change aperture) stops working. The only way to reset it is to turn the power off and then on. Occasionally I have to take the battery out and reinstall. All firmware is up to date (lens and R5). I have cleaned all the contacts by carefully using an alcohol wipe. The camera is about 18 months old and the lens 5 plus years old.

Has anyone experienced anything similar or can suggest things to try?

Many thanks

Steve

I have a similar setup with the R6, basic adapter, 1.4 III converter and the EF 100-400 v2. It would take some photos and then freeze the camera. I have seen postings about this happening in Servo mode. Had to turn camera off to reset. Latest firmware is applied and was suppose to fix that according to other posts.

Thanks - I am also using Servo mode. All latest firmware applied. Hopefully further updates will resolve.

My 5 month old R5 had been perforMING flawlessly. I shoot Raw, MANUAL Mode. I have the Ring Adapter because my 4 lenses are all L series EF. 4 days ago, the Quick Control Dial #1 which controls AV and Exposure Compensation STOPPED working. It only shows the widest aperture of the lens I have currently on the camera and to determine the correct needed exposure I must use ISO and TV, which is ridiculous. I thought at first I had pushed a wrong setting; Using the Yellow Tool Tab did a complete Camera Reset. then with all controls in their Default position, I confirmed that the AV and the Exp.Comp. are used via the Quick Control Dial #1 -Round Circle with SET in the middle. Mine NO LONGER WORKS. I called Canon directly and via phone they helped test that Dial. it is faulty. i have to ship my camera to them for repair. This is super aggravating and nerve=racking, for an instrument I paid $3899.00, plus all the new accessories that go with it. I can only pray Canon may fix this asap and I may have my camera back in a week or so. I am up to date on my Firmware.

My 5 month old R5 had been perforMING flawlessly. I shoot Raw, MANUAL Mode. I have the Ring Adapter because my 4 lenses are all L series EF. 4 days ago, the Quick Control Dial #1 which controls AV and Exposure Compensation STOPPED working. It only shows the widest aperture of the lens I have currently on the camera and to determine the correct needed exposure I must use ISO and TV, which is ridiculous. I thought at first I had pushed a wrong setting; Using the Yellow Tool Tab did a complete Camera Reset. then with all controls in their Default position, I confirmed that the AV and the Exp.Comp. are used via the Quick Control Dial #1 -Round Circle with SET in the middle. Mine NO LONGER WORKS. I called Canon directly and via phone they helped test that Dial. it is faulty. i have to ship my camera to them for repair. This is super aggravating and nerve=racking, for an instrument I paid $3899.00, plus all the new accessories that go with it. I can only pray Canon may fix this asap and I may have my camera back in a week or so. I am up to date on my Firmware.
Frustrating but nothing is infallible. The top dial on my 1DX2 stopped working properly but Canon CPS here in the UK was super efficient and I had it back with me within a few days.
I guess the moral of the story is that if you can't do without your camera, always have a back up and your experience has done nothing to make me feel comfortable as for the first time in 15 years I don't have one and I'm setting off to Africa for a 6 week trip tomorrow!
As in your case, hopefully if anything does go wrong I can find a way around it to carry on using the camera. I have the EOSR-R control ring adapter so that gives me another dial I can use. I could re-assign the functions of the buttons and dials to overcome one not working. Not ideal but at least it would keep me afloat temporarily until I can get things fixed.
If it's totally dead then I'll be stuffed!
Fingers crossed you get yours back in quick time, and mine doesn't pack in at all!

I am almost sure it has to do with properly resetting the camera. The more I try, the worse it becomes. Now the MODE button is stuck on Movie and I can not get it back to display the diff. options, like Manual, etc. I feel like doing Camera Reset again, before sending it away to Canon. i'm in Miami, FL and my closest Canon Repair Factory is in Virginia. Ugh.

I think you are in movie mode. Press mode then the info button.You will then have the option to change from C3 back to M.
C3 (Custom Function 3) gets you in and out of movie mode

Yes, Dave. Don't know how I ended up in Movie Mode, but now the Mode button is stuck in there. Using the Yellow Tool Tab #5 shows 1-Reset Camera. -2 Custom shooting mode (C1-C3) I have cleared any settings that could have been there, but no avail. Mode buton is stuck in Movie, and so are many of the other settings. I am packing the R5 body and the Ring Mount adapter and sending it to Canon in /Virginia and hope they can reset everything properly or fix the problem in the QCD #1 which does not work as it should. Thanks for your help. I will keep you updated as soon as I hear from Canon. Going to UPS right now.

I am almost sure it has to do with properly resetting the camera. The more I try, the worse it becomes. Now the MODE button is stuck on Movie and I can not get it back to display the diff. options, like Manual, etc. I feel like doing Camera Reset again, before sending it away to Canon. i'm in Miami, FL and my closest Canon Repair Factory is in Virginia. Ugh.

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back