Emjay

Newcomer
Pro Member
Pro Member
Followers
Following
Name
Mike
I am an experienced Canon camera user having used Canon for over 42 years. Previous digital camera bodies include 7d, 7D ll and 6D ll with a Canon 100-400 L Mk ll.

Does anyone with an R6 have my experience with the electronics?

The firmware is 1.6 and a fully charged battery: The problems I am facing are intermittent faults with the camera's electronics with the menu screen randomly turning off then on with varying cycling rates of on/off, the menu button not working at all at times, the screen and viewfinder turning on/off at random intervals when reviewing photos and personalised button/dials not saving (e.g setting back button focus). I only noticed the latter after resetting the camera and then trying to replicate my buttons and dials allocated settings.

Also, the electronics seem to affect the focussing of my RF 100-400 zoom. During a recent whale watching trip over a 10 night voyage not a single photo out of 540 is sharp and the lens was hunting at 400mm. A fellow photographer also with a R6 and using my lens and the same settings could not replicate the focussing issues. I was using Face + tracking", prioritising animals. (Alternative use with eye detection on/off made no difference).

The body is still under warranty and has gone back to Wex Photo Video for evaluation and repair but I would be interested to learn if anyone else has had this problem.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got a lemon! Should be replaced under warranty.

I'm hoping this is just an observer's bias, but it seems like Rs are having too many issues. Is Canon's QC going downhill? I thought they were popular cameras, but looking at what photographers are using on Instagram, I'm seeing a lot more Sonys and Olympuses than Canons... The seeds of doubt.

Sounds like you got a lemon! Should be replaced under warranty.

I'm hoping this is just an observer's bias, but it seems like Rs are having too many issues. Is Canon's QC going downhill? I thought they were popular cameras, but looking at what photographers are using on Instagram, I'm seeing a lot more Sonys and Olympuses than Canons... The seeds of doubt.
Thanks. I am hoping for a replacement but I am not holding my breath.......... 😏 I shall add to this post once the results are in. If the camera is fixed/replaced one thing for sure, the RF 100-400 is going to be replaced with the EF 00-400 L Mk ll!

Thanks. I am hoping for a replacement but I am not holding my breath.......... 😏 I shall add to this post once the results are in. If the camera is fixed/replaced one thing for sure, the RF 100-400 is going to be replaced with the EF 00-400 L Mk ll!
Update.

Have just received the camera back from repair. Apparently it was down to faulty "contacts" which have been corrected and throughly tested. Everything seems to be OK now.

Oh, and the RF 100-400 is on the way back and the EF 100-400 f.4.5-5.6 ll L IS USM is in the basket awaiting the RF lens to be credited to my account. Life's too short.......... 😏

As life is indeed too short, you should just get the RF100-500 one. That's what all the cool kids are using.

As life is indeed too short, you should just get the RF100-500 one. That's what all the cool kids are using.
I did try that lens being used by fellow traveler on his R6 but I wasn’t that impressed to be honest. To me it felt a bit unsubstantial. My travelling companion was concerned with the plastic filter thread mount and the longevity of the thread. He also complained about zoom limitations but didn’t elaborate. So on reflection I am going back to the lens I was most happy with.

That's surprising. I've only heard good thing about that lens so far, and the reviews look at it favorably.
You're also likely sacrificing some image quality by using a non-native adapted lens instead of native mirrorless, as the whole shtick here is that not having a mirror allows for an optically-superior closer focusing plane.

I'd seriously do some more research before basing that decision on one guy's opinion and a plastic filter thread!
Here's one review directly comparing the two lenses in question.

That's surprising. I've only heard good thing about that lens so far, and the reviews look at it favorably.
You're also likely sacrificing some image quality by using a non-native adapted lens instead of native mirrorless, as the whole shtick here is that not having a mirror allows for an optically-superior closer focusing plane.

I'd seriously do some more research before basing that decision on one guy's opinion and a plastic filter thread!
Here's one review directly comparing the two lenses in question.
Thank you for your comments. Tough decisions eh? 🥴

Latest reviews

• Zoom Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
    5.00 star(s)
    Fast, sharp, and lightweight! A great lens
    This is my main workhorse of a lens and I love it. It's very light weight (only around 2.3 lbs) lens. I've been able to hand-hold it for an event...
    • Crysania
  • Canon EOS R6 Mark II
    5.00 star(s)
    Fantastic sport camera
    This camera is FANTASTIC. I'm a dog sports shooter, so very fast indoor action with a lot of obstacles to shoot in and around. This camera does a...
    • Crysania
  • Zoom Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 IS USM
    4.00 star(s)
    A good lens for what it does, with it's drawbacks
    I have had this lens since it came out and it is my lightweight go to lens for walking around in the city and using my infrared-converted camera...
    • Hali

New in the marketplace

Back